1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new to the forum, seeking advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wizerd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Hi all

Just registered here after lurking for many moons.
    After much angst over a purchase I decided to pull the trigger on a Squier Active Jazz 4 string. Well it arrived today and the bridge is separated from the body by lots of daylight. :crying: I tried briefly to snug it back down but the screws are turning freely.
    I really believe that the seller sold in good faith (new in box purchase from a high feedback e-bay site) but the inspection sticker is close to one and one half years old and I'm wondering should I try to make this a project or simply return and shop at local stores forevermore? Really had high hopes for this bass but am just a little bummed 2night. Have played (ok, goofed around) on and off for 40+ years and I know its only $250 (yeah, the good deal lured me in) but am a little disappointed. I have another Squier Classic Vibe P-bass and am very pleased after the LaBella flats and cream pup covers:D. Bass really pops and sounds and plays great.
    This other Jazz bass bums me at the moment and any advice from this community is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Sounds like you settled on a particular model at least.
    If it was me, I would return it and get the same model from a place like Musicians friend, $299, free shipping.
    It really sucks to have such a high anticipation blasted by major disappointment.
    Hope it all works out for ya, man
    Im really glad I didn't have any issues with my Xavier P Bass, having ordered it sight unseen, but read some nice reviews.
    Jeff

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Return it. As it is now, it can't be even be evaluated as a bargain musical instrument.

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If returning it is an option that may be the best choice. If not or if you would like to rescue the bass because it is otherwise satisfactory the "toothpick trick" is reported to be an excellent way to restore striped out screws in wooden bodies. I'm not sure how many toothpicks people recommend (2, 3, 4?) but you glue them into the stripped out holes and then the screws will have something to grab on. BTW, I have played the 5 string version of that bass in a GC and it is a nice one.

Ken

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I 2nd the "Toothpick Trick". It's a quick fix if you decide not to return it.
    It'll fill the holes up so you can screw the bridge down nice 'n tight.
    You may even consider slightly fatter screws to get a nice bite into the body.
    Also... welcome to TB

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Sounds like total junk. Return it. Save money. Save more money. By a better bass than a Squier. Be happy. Simple, really.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Return it, then purchase it from a place other than Ebay.

8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    If a return is possible,do so. If it isn't,go to your local craft dept. and spend three bucks on a dowel and some wood glue. After doweling/gluing,let it set for at least 24hrs to let the glue cure. Then drill pilot holes(slightly smaller than the screw gauge)and re-attach your bridge,making sure not to over-tighten(snug+1/4turn is a good rule of thumb).

Contrary to Boristhespider9's belief,a stripped screw doesn't mean it's junk. Wearing a Squier logo doesn't negate this fact either. I've had both the 4 and 5str versions of this bass,and after a set-up and string change,they were both reliable,gig worthy instruments. Congrats,good luck,and Welcome to TalkBass!

9. This is a no-brainer...return it!

10. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Thanks all for the advice.
    I rechecked the retun policy from the seller, equivalent in store merchandise only. Since I dont really need $250 worth of halloween masks I decided to make this a project. I took off the original strings, (really junk btw but this is a price point after all,) and slowly removed the bridge screws. When the bridge was off there was a fair amount of wood chips underneath, Ugh. I wiped the all off and cleared out the screw holes. I have done the 'toothpick' trick on strap buttons before and decided to give it a try here. I cut the ends off half a dozen toothpick and split each one so that the screw would have something to bite on when screwed in again. I also coated both the toothpick end and the entire screw in Gorilla Glue which expands upon cure and was careful to wipe everything as it cured. The bridge is now essentially a part of the body. If it ever decided to separate it would probably take the neck plate with it. Replaced the original strings with some new DR Marcus Millers and am slowly bring the neck to a reasonable action. As delivered I could shoot arrows, but it is almost playable now and sounds pretty good. Since I now expect to keep this thing for a while maybe I should think about music lessons ?
    Thanks again for your inputs.