1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daniel Tarazon, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    Hello bass heads. I'm new to the forum and I'm thinking this is the best place to get some help. I have a 1986 Rickenbacker 4003 Silver. It has been through war yet it does not have any cracks or chippings. It's mostly worn from the finish. It has no fret wear. The truss rods cover is broken. I haven't been able to find a new one because it is a black truss rod cover and Rickenbacker doesn't make them any more. Overall its a nicely set up bass vintage bass. Most importantly... Thank you very much. MVIMG_20180220_190653. MVIMG_20180220_190704. MVIMG_20180220_190720. MVIMG_20180220_190740. MVIMG_20180304_173747.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2018
    Giffro, GregC, allenhumble and 14 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Welcome to TB!

Cool bass.:thumbsup:

For posts like yours where there is question about value, TB rules require you to be a supporting member.:bassist:

Good luck.:)

BooDoggie and Daniel Tarazon like this.
  3. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    Oh... OK... I'll consider that in the near future. It's just curiosity if I ever do plan on selling. Thank you though. It is a sick bass!

4. Deak

Deak

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Welcome to Talkbass!
    I'm not sure what you mean by "sick" but many here will on TB would praise that base as war worthy and a battle scar beauty!
    It does indeed have a deserved character to it. I think it stands on it's own as is. It may have play ability service needs but damned if I would ever try to touch up one scar on it.

Awesome bass.

5. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    Sick = badass, awesome, cool, etc.

Yeah... The scars give it quite some character. I called Rickenbacker to see if they sold the black truss rod cover but they only have white. I left it like that to keep it as original as possible

the harp unstrung and Deak like this.
  6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Well, I say it needs cleaning. Looks my hick cousin who took a bath twice a year whether he needed it or not.
    A Ric is a fine bass and should be treated as such---as should all basses.
    Recommendations for your problem:
    1. You could take your name plate/TRC to a trophy shop and they can make an exact duplicate. I did that for a bass and it was great.
    2. A re-finish and you'll have a beautiful bass again.

Please don't confuse abuse with character. It just means it was not very well taken care of.
    If you like a dirty bass---go for it.
    Just not for me.
    It's too good of a bass to let it go to pot.

7. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    Don't confuse wear with abuse. All my instruments are well taken care of. The only "abuse" I give this bass is playing it whenever I have time. Maybe you should worry about cleaning your hick cousin up so you don't have to refer to him as a hick

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Oh I admit ishe is indeed a hick as he admits as well. And wear is subjective. I have an SB-40 I've played since 1981, as my main bass for fourteen years of hard L.A. playing, so its has a ton of mileage, yet it looks pristine because I simply took care of it. If your basses look like the one you posted, all because, as you said, "The only "abuse" I give this bass is playing it whenever I have time." then it sounds like you don't have that much mileage on it, yet it looks like that being played "whenever you have time". Strictly an observation with a couple of recommendations to get it back to snuff.
    You'll find a thin skin around here does not get much of anything done.
    Now, off to other posts.

9. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    Nothing to do withw a thin skin. All I know is that you can give different kinds of unhelpful opinions from the other side of a computer or a smart phone and assume anything you want. Maybe you should ask the condition of this bass before I got it and what I did and still am doing to restore it. Then again you probably don't care so yeah... You should go off to other posts veteran

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    :)

11. Welcome to the forums! I once owned a 4003. It was really nice.

12. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    Thank you! They are awesome basses. It's pretty much anyone's dream bass. I came up on this one about 2 years ago. Badly needed a set up and a new bridge. It feels like a dream

13. If that bass feels good and sounds good, clean it, treat it to some new strings, set it up if it is needed, and keep it forever.

14. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    I thought about refinishing it when I first got it, but to be honest I love the way the wear looks. What I really would like to replace is the truss rod cover. I really considered getting a white one but as I said I want to keep it as original as possible. The strings are pretty much brand new and it's nicely set up with low action

15. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    So... what is the issue needing help? The truss rod cover? If that's it, the first thing that popped into my head was ebay. There's a fair chance of finding an authentic vintage black cover there, I'd say. I've had luck with this sort of thing many times.

Welcome, btw. :)

Rob Martinez likes this.
  16. Daniel Tarazon

Daniel Tarazon

Mar 16, 2018
    Thanks!

I did ebay... I found white truss rod covers that are somewhat overpriced. I had no luck finding a black one. I called Rickenbacker and they said that they can send me a white cover as warranty for the black one since the black one is discontinued. I'm really starting to consider that

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Welcome to TalkBas!!!!

Yeah that bass has some stories to tell!!! I dig it. I'm no Ric expert so I can't answer any of your questions. Just swinging by to welcome to our community.

Spidey2112 and Daniel Tarazon like this.
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yeah, get the white one. Scuff it up a little bit and spray it black.

Or go the trophy shop route.

19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Activate the notifications here on TB for the key words "black Rickenbacker truss rod cover". Someone might be selling one in the future but you need to be a supporting member to buy it. Just a thought.. Also I believe you can turn on the notifications on eBay as well. Welcome and good luck!

20. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I thought you only needed to be a supporting member to post and sell not buy. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Jeff Scott likes this.