Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to the game

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mrrebel79, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mrrebel79

Mrrebel79

Jan 13, 2005
    Is 25yrs old to late to start learning to play the bass. I've always wanted to but had so many years invested in the trumpet and really never got around to it. But this year I will be learning but I'm not sure where to start. I talked to a local guy who agreed to teach me but first I must purchase a bass. I've been looking online and the Peavy Millennium 5 ac bxp 5 string had great reviews and the price seems reasonable at $280.00. On a scale from 1-10 in catagories of Features, Quality, and Price it recevied 9. somthing in all three catagories. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open 'em.

2. It's never too late, man! Buy yourself a bass and don't look back. That sounds like a good one to start with.

3. If you pick up a bass just to pose in front of mirrors, or to noodle with for fun at home thru a 10 watt amp in a bedroom, or to learn it to play professionally in pubs and clubs, or to play stadiums - the age you do it is completely up to you!

The main thing is that you do it for yourself and to enjoy it!

People have picked up the bass for the first time who are much older than you!

Good luck! :bassist:

4. Do it! Your experience w/trumpet will give you an advantage over someone w/no experience. Peavey's are well made- a good 'beginner' bass.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Read through the threads in the talkbass forums.

Tons of information, about anything you want to know about bass, equipment, techniques, etc.

Any bass that stays in tune and is relatively easy (comfortable) to play will work for starters. Buy used, and you can get a decent bass for pretty cheap.

Welcome!

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I started playing bass at age 27 after playing trombone since the age of 9. I picked up bass as a second instrument :p
    I no longer play the trombone :) My first bass was a Peavey
    t-20. I borrowed an amp. Got some Carol Kaye books. Worked with those books along with playing along with tapes of bands that I had from my tbone playing days. 22 years later I would say it's been a good experience.

7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Trumpet players make good bass players for some reason.

And Wes Montgomery started playing g#*tar at age 30, and became one of the great ones.

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Horn players make better bassists than guitar players do. On the trumpet you are used to playing lines and melodic phrases. Thinking melodically helps when you are building walking bass lines. One thing you will like about the bass instead of trumpet is that you won't be putting your mouth on a metal tube filled with cold spit. And there is no messy spit valve draining on your shoes. If you ever cleaned the inside of your trumpet out with a cleaning brush you know that the inside is coated with a slimey goo that looks like puss. I think I am going to be sick. Anyway, enjoy the bass, you are making the right move.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1!!!

Go for it!!!

10. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Age has no effect... infact IMHO in most cases a 24 year old would have more drive then lets say a 13 year old. Less destractions:)

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    It's never to late.
    Take lessons, a teacher, or just study on your own.
    You got to love it. everyday.
    It takes time.
    If it's for you, there will be great progress in a year.
    It's all up to you.
    Good luck.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hi!

Cool. Do it but be patient. You know what I mean.

There are alot of good inexpensive basses out there. Also, look at some preowned basses. You can get alot for your $

Rob

13. Mrrebel79

Mrrebel79

Jan 13, 2005
    Wow ! thanks for the words of encouragement....I'm on it :bassist:

14. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    it's never to late! i started "playing" around 17. but never took any lessons and just kind of messed around. when i turned 28 i really started getting back into playing and i have learned more in the past year than in my first 11. i think it is easier to learn now because i am more focused on learning now than i was then. find yourself a good teacher and try to play with as many different musicians and styles as possible. the more you play the more you learn! good luck :bassist:

15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah man, definitely go for it! Playing another instrument really helps, at least you understand rhythms, phrasing, etc., and you can read music ( I assume) so it's just a question of reading bass clef .... no biggie!

Peavey's are always a safe choice for starting out .......

BTW, bass is much, much hipper than the trumpet .... you get to stand in the back of the band and work on looking indifferent and cool :cool:

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    And for you saxaphone players. What do you think that was when you took off the reed and looked inside your mouthpiece?? It was a mixture of dead skin cells from the inside of your mouth, food particles, nicotine, and throat phlegm. And you put your mouth right on it. The worst thing I get on me when I play my bass is a little grey grease from the Chrome D'Addario Flatwounds and some slobber from a drunk groupie. I gave up horns thirty years ago and never looked back. Go for it.

17. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Welcome to the club! I was a trumpet player from the time I was 13 until I layed it down when I was 19. I picked up bass when I was 30 and have always played by the seat of my pants. I've had more fun playing bass that I ever had playing horn although I did take it back up in '96 and still play trumpet and soprano bugle occasionally. Trust your musical instincts that you've spent the last few years building. If you are anything like me, you are taking up bass because you've always felt the bass line. Once you learn where the notes are on the neck, the rest will come easily. :bassist:

18. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I was 32 when I started, 35 now I'm in one band that plays out a few times a month. I'm going to get into another band in the next week or two.