1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to the Upright market...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MikeD1687, May 10, 2006.

1. Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. Electric bassist of about 6 years. Anyways. I need to get an upright bass soon, and I'm not sure what I should get.

I am primarily a jazz player, but I'm going to be in a music ed. major at school, so I may need to play some classical too.

I have heard decent things about Engelhardt Swingmaster basses, and they're in my price range pretty much of up to $1,500 or so.

Also, what pickup should I get? Like I said, I'm a jazz player with influences mostly from John Patitucci and Eddie Gomez on upright.

In addition, will I need a preamp to put inbetween the bass and my amp?

Thanks for reading and for the help in advance.

-Mike

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Well, check the newbie links first and then do your homework on these threads. Then you'll understand this comment:

If I had $1500 to spend, it sure wouldn't be on a Swingmaster-- not for your purposes anyway.

3. <<<<If I had $1500 to spend, it sure wouldn't be on a Swingmaster-- not for your purposes anyway.>>>>

Agreed. Have played both a new ES1 and ES9(Swingmaster) recently, and the ES1 was by far the better bass. I'd get that or even an EM1 over an ES9 if I was going for a new Engl.

I I just had to have a blonde, I'd look serioulsy at the Upton Swingster or the Shen 90.

4. ES1

ES1

Nov 28, 2004
    Can't say much about the ES9, but the ES1 is awesome. I own one. The tone and volume are impressive. I have had many bass players ask me to play my bass, and all of them say it is a good one. Now, with that being said, you need to know that I primarily play bluegrass. there have been some comments about the skinnier neck on the Engelhardts, but to each his own. You go with what you can afford, and where your skill level is at. Just wanted to let you know that there are some folks around here that are very pleased with The ES1 Engelhardts out there.
    ES1

5. <<<<<I am primarily a jazz player, but I'm going to be in a music ed. major at school, so I may need to play some classical too.>>>>>

You need a better bass than engls foir your purposes.
    Esp in the classical dept. Plywood engles arn't known for there arco qualities. Look at some well set up hybrids.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd try and save up a bit more as grim as that sounds. Definately check the newbie links. I'm not sure if Strunal, Shen, or Upton offers a bass in that price range-if they do, it might be worth checking out. If you can save up/get the money to get an instrument in the $3-5k range, i think it would be far easier.

I'm a jazz major and i've been stoked with my bass. But, for classical-i think i'd be sunk [based 99% on my bow technique and 1% on my strings].

If the other bass cats at your school are strictly classical-i highly doubt any of them will be playing anything besides some sort of carved bass [$$$$$]. The jazz guys-well, at my school there's a wide variety represented from a Shen SB80 [i think] to old Kays to my NS Cleveland to various carved basses. It's possible to get a bass that fits your specs except-i'm not experienced enough to know precisely which one.

Take it easy.