New to the world of 5!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, May 7, 2002.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi there, I 'm going to take the plunge and fork out for a five string bass, the problem is i don't know if i'm going for the right one?

I love the overall look of the STINGRAY 5, but is this a wise choice? I know the sound is good.
    I have heard some 5 players don't like the necks. Whats the neck like?

Could someone post a picture of the Stingray 5 neck. Someone out there got a Stingray 5 teal with maple neck? post a picture of one?
    Anyone in the U.K. selling a Teal/Maple one?

The only other 5 i have ever liked the look of is the TOBIAS killer B, but they ain't made anymore, so it looks like it will b the Stingray 5.

Haven't really seen anyother 5's out there that have caught my eye.

Spector are cool (i have a 4) but i don't think the 5 looks as cool as a 4.

See ya!
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I don't have a picture of the neck.. But I love the neck of my Ray 5. Its got a thick fat neck.. The string spacing is close... I like the close spacing. The ray has an unfinished neck, so don't spill drinks on it or anything ;). The Ray 5 is a great bass and fits into all types of music.. Its not for everyone though.. If its possible for you, try and play one if you haven't yet.. I know that might not be readily available for you, so if you are just going on word of mouth, make sure its what you want... I think the Ray 5 is a fabulous bass, thats why I bought it, i wouldn't want anything else.. I play Jazz, funk and Rock primarily and it fits all styles...
  3. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Thanks for the reply.

I always kind of thought they weren't that suited to rock music, but it seems a lot of players are using them for just that.

I'm now on the lookout for a Stingray 5 teal/maple.

I don't think i will be able to get a shot of the bass, but i know a shop that is has an OLP 5 bass, so that is close enough.

See ya!
  4. I haven't got one to sell, nor will I post a picture. I will merely refer you to Ernie Ball's "build an instrument" site. There you can choose the model you want, the colour, neck and pickguard combination you fancy, and then see a picture of it. It's neat feature, sure to give you GAS.
    BTW, I find the string spacing on the EBMMSR5 basses to be a bit narrow, but they're still quite nice.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The spacing on the Ray 5 is too narrow for me as well (if not for that I would own one), but it's one of the more popular 5-string basses. I love the way they sound, though. Try one for yourself if you can.