Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to the world of 5!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, May 7, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi there, I 'm going to take the plunge and fork out for a five string bass, the problem is i don't know if i'm going for the right one?

I love the overall look of the STINGRAY 5, but is this a wise choice? I know the sound is good.
    I have heard some 5 players don't like the necks. Whats the neck like?

Could someone post a picture of the Stingray 5 neck. Someone out there got a Stingray 5 teal with maple neck? post a picture of one?
    Anyone in the U.K. selling a Teal/Maple one?

The only other 5 i have ever liked the look of is the TOBIAS killer B, but they ain't made anymore, so it looks like it will b the Stingray 5.

Haven't really seen anyother 5's out there that have caught my eye.

Spector are cool (i have a 4) but i don't think the 5 looks as cool as a 4.

See ya!

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't have a picture of the neck.. But I love the neck of my Ray 5. Its got a thick fat neck.. The string spacing is close... I like the close spacing. The ray has an unfinished neck, so don't spill drinks on it or anything ;). The Ray 5 is a great bass and fits into all types of music.. Its not for everyone though.. If its possible for you, try and play one if you haven't yet.. I know that might not be readily available for you, so if you are just going on word of mouth, make sure its what you want... I think the Ray 5 is a fabulous bass, thats why I bought it, i wouldn't want anything else.. I play Jazz, funk and Rock primarily and it fits all styles...

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Thanks for the reply.

I always kind of thought they weren't that suited to rock music, but it seems a lot of players are using them for just that.

I'm now on the lookout for a Stingray 5 teal/maple.

I don't think i will be able to get a shot of the bass, but i know a shop that is has an OLP 5 bass, so that is close enough.

See ya!

4. I haven't got one to sell, nor will I post a picture. I will merely refer you to Ernie Ball's "build an instrument" site. There you can choose the model you want, the colour, neck and pickguard combination you fancy, and then see a picture of it. It's neat feature, sure to give you GAS.
    BTW, I find the string spacing on the EBMMSR5 basses to be a bit narrow, but they're still quite nice.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The spacing on the Ray 5 is too narrow for me as well (if not for that I would own one), but it's one of the more popular 5-string basses. I love the way they sound, though. Try one for yourself if you can.