1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to the world of Heads and Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BruceBass3901, Oct 31, 2010.

1. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I am looking to upgrade my rig in the near future and would like to go down the route of having a seperate head and cab rather than a combo amp.

I currrently run an Ibanez SR305 into an Ashdown EB180-15 (via an ever changing pedal board).

I am looking into getting an Ashdown ABM500 EVO III 575 Watt head. I have tried this amp and really like it, but I am unsure what cab to get with it. Available in the same store are the following:

Ashdown MAG 210T
    Ashdown MAG 410T

These are rated at 200 Watts RMS and 450 Watts continuous respectivly. Which would be the better bet? There are other cabs available, but I would prefer a matching set as it were, but if neither of these would be worth having, I can find out what else is avaiable.

Thanks guys :)

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    if you would be willing to wait long enough (4-6 months), I would go with a Low Down Sound cab. I was actually going to buy a MAG 410T (whatever version of the Ashdown cab was 4ohms), but I went into the store to try it out, and cranked it a little bit, and I found the cab actually farted out really early. Don at Low Down Sound makes some really, really great cabs for a really good price. I recently got my 4x10+6.5"/1x18 cab in, and I'm blown away by how great it sounds. the crazy thing is, I paid $900 after shipping for it. it handles more power than an Ampeg 8x10 (600 watts more), weighs 40lbs less, and cost $400 less than the Ampeg.

be aware there is a wait, but it's really high quality product that won't fail you. it's completely custom, and you control every aspect of the cab.

shoot Don an email and see what he would be able to quote you. www.lowdownsound.com

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Of the 2 you listed, definately the 410. More speakers equals more volume and better tone. Period.

4. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Thanks for the info there hachi, but I think that were I am a college student in the UK, that line is a little out of reach