New to the world of Mike Watt...

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by nasonm, Apr 9, 2004.

1. nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    I'm fairly new to the world of Mike Watt. I remember hearing Ball-Hog or Tugboat a while back, but at that time all I knew were the artists that guested on the album.

My first introduction to your work was in a book I read 2 years ago called "Our Band Could Be Your Life". It had a chapter on the Minutemen.

Then I watched the Bass documentary "Rising Low" and all I could think was "who the heck it the bearded guy talking about his Flipper technique????"

But now I've started digging, reading and listening and I have to say I'm impressed. No big surprise there (not trying to stroke your ego). My musical tastes range from Chet Atkins to Bob Mould to Yo Yo Ma, so I'm always looking to experince something new (well new to me at least).

I'm back with Bass after a 7 year hiatus, and loving every minute of it. I just wanted to share my newfound appreciation for you & your music.

Take Care,

Mark Nason
    Bangor, ME
  2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

thank you much. like orson wells said, "no wine before its time."

on bass, watt

3. Run, dont walk and buy, minutemen's Double Nickel on the dime... to me that's one of the best albums ever!!!

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

thanks. that's one of my favorite records I ever played on. first one I played mostly w/my fingers (only one tune had me using a pick) though that's not why I like it. it's got a trippy flow and d. boon/george hurley played like they were on fire.

on bass, watt

5. dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    endorsing artist: knucklehead strings
    when didnt d.boon play like he was on fire....

great guy...wish i been around for that time in music...then into sublime in time...

u really doin a cover for that tribute album?
  6. Groovyloser

Sep 27, 2001
    Hey mark,
    I bet you could actually play some of the tracks off ballhog on WHSN..haha i bet you didn't expect that reply!

peace yall
  7. Groovyloser

Sep 27, 2001
    oh and mark good read by the way. This band could be your life is an awsome book.....Great bands doing it their own way...too bad the music industry doesn't allow for bands to really opperate that way maybe you can see where me and Fitz were comming from a little bit....

peace out and rock on Watt
  8. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Just picked up "flyin the flannel" on CD. I've had it on cassett forever but it's getting old.

Take care Mike, when are you coming back to Sacramento?
  9. Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

May 13, 2004
    Hey Mike, Havent seen you in quite awhile (ucr, riverside, long beach, etc..) since the firehose days. do you still have the blue firebird and the the case(I sold to you back in 91-92?). Fred from Upland. P.S. still listening to minutemen. Awesome but sad story. I miss D. Boon very much. Take care.