New to this, can any1 help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Weasel_md, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Weasel_md

Jan 2, 2001
    I just got a second hand bass, it is a Yamaha SuperBass 800. the bass is about 2 maybe 3 years old i think. the person who owned it before said the action was alittle high. how do u tell if it is. and how do u read tabs for basses. Can any1 tell me if my bass is any good. i traded it for my Vantage Acoutistic Guitar that is 3 years old. Did i get a good deal?
  2. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Tabs are fairly straightforward. The bottom line represents the fattest string, and the top line represents the thinnest string. The numbers on the lines represent fret numbers.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Action" basically means how high the strings are above the fretboard. There can be a lot to it and if you want more detail, then I suggest you check out the forum called "Set Up". As a newcomer, I suggest all you need to think about is whether the height of the strings stops you playing what you want - whether it's difficult to hold down the strings all across the fretboard. If not, then don't get hung up about it. If you feel the action is affecting your ability to play the thing, then it might be worth looking into this a bit more. Action is very much a personal thing and one person's high action might be ideal for another player.