New to UB, Differences in Engelhardt models?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Subway, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Subway

Subway

Nov 8, 2008
    I've been into rockabilly and psychobilly for a while now, and sense I started playing electric I've wanted an upright. I've done a little bit of research, and from what I've read and been told the Engelhardt line of basses seems to fit my bill as well as the sound I'm looking for, but I'm a bit confused on which model to get. Could someone give me a brief description on the differences between a few of the models? Sounds? Duribility? Best Value? and the like. Thanks folks.

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    There is little to no difference in sound between the models (with a good setup) , but the more expensive models have flamed maple on the back and sides and ebony fittings (fingerboard and tailpiece).

The lower priced models have plainer woods and use Brazilian Cherry for the fingerboard, which is not quite as hard as ebony. This may mean needing the fingerboard planed sooner. We're talking many years of use though depending on the strings you use and how much you play.

IMO, any of the models would be a good choice for Rockabilly music, but be sure to have a good setup done on the bass to maximize playability and sound. It is always a good idea to play some basses before you buy if possible.

If you decide to order an Engelhardt, I recommend Jerry Fretwell (www.fretwellbass.com) because he is great to deal with, and your choice of strings and a good setup is included in his price.

3. yep, really happy with my engel from Fretwell.

Johnny

4. Subway

Subway

Nov 8, 2008
    So what I'm understanding here is that the only difference is the finish and such? Because I don't really care about the finish as much as I do the sound. There's hardly any difference sound wise in a $1300 engel and a $1600 engel? Also does anyone have any reccomendations for where to find one at the best price? Thanks again for all of your help.

5. the main differences are not the finish, it's mainly the type of wood used for the fittings. the cheaper ones use cherry wood(formerly rosewood or maple), the more expensive one use ebony.

Ebony is a much harder, longer wearing, and much more expensive wood.

Difference in sound is not that great (within body shape) in my opinion, a ES9 and ES1, don't sound that much different than the EM1. whereas the EG9 and EC1 sound similar.

But string type and setup make MUCH more of a difference than body shape.

You already have 3 recommendations on who you should buy from :D

Jerry Fretwell sets up his basses before sale, and that's a BIG deal. You probably could save $100 or so buying from somewhere else, but you have to spend WAY more than $100 on setup and strings on that bass.

I could have bought my bass for wholesale, but I bought it from Jerry Fretwell. His service is worth it.

Johnny

6. Slaps McGoo

Slaps McGoo

Mar 23, 2008
    Montreal
    Agreed, I bought my bass from Jerry back this spring and don't regret a thing about it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021