New to upright

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I currently play elecric bass guitar and i am thinking about moving on to upright, i was just wondering how step the learning cure is, how dificult will it be? I have played a little fretless electric if that helps. I will probably buy a electric upright to learn on.
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Good going!

You're entering another world. It bears some resemblance to the place you're used to. However, you may find that you're a "natural" and it's not difficult at all.

Not really.

Why? That's like saying, "I want to learn about sailing so I'm buying a canoe."

Here's a discussion on your topic:

Good luck!
  3. its an easy transition, i play electric bass in jazz band at my high school. i decided to play upright in concert band, and my director put me on it the next day. an experienced electric bass player will have no problem with the transition. (except its alot more work, OUCH)
  4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France

Welcome to TB, please... :rolleyes:
  5. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Sounds like a fair question. But first:

What you see 'round these parts is a mix of reason, passion and whatever else is lurking. Most of us play the double-bass because we love it. Period. If we were more thoughtful we'd probably play the radio.

While thinking is something to be encouraged at all times, I'm going to urge to stop thinking for a moment. Go up to somebody or some store who has a bass. Ask him or her if you can play on it for a moment. Does it move you? Do you want more? Is this the sound you hear in your head?

Now, back to your question. "The right teacher for you" is the teacher who inspires you to do the hard work necessary to move forward with the instrument and the music you seek to master, and who can help you to do that without hurting yourself. Here's one lengthy thread on the topic:

In closing: You can learn something of value from almost anybody if you let yourself. Whether you've made "the Most Right Choice" is something which can only be seen in hindsight if at all. Whether you're inspired and not too sore is more immediately apparent!

Good luck, hombre.
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    How do you know if anything is right? You gotta try it. There are clues:
    does the teacher teach every student the same thing the same way or do they find different ways of imparting the necessary fundamentals of music and approach for each student?
    does the teacher teach from materials prepared personally or predominantly with material from other sources?
    does the teacher try to get you to mimic their physical approach or try to find the physical approach that gets each student to address the instrument inj the most relaxed way, with the least stress?

And countless other things. It's great that you would trust one of Carol's clones (personally a teacher would have to have more going for them than just adhering to someone else's methodology), but physically the upright is a whole nother ball of wax. Almost every legit cat has come up under a well developed methodology for the physical approach to the instrument, find out who the symphony players in your area recommend. It doesn't matter if you don't play classical and want to play Bulgarian Death Klezmer, they aren't going to move the notes around. If physical approach is the most important thing to you, find a good classical teacher.

And do it the same way you'd find a good mechanic or plumber or contractor.
  8. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  9. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  10. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The DB vs EUB topic has already been discussed thoroughly on TB/DB, use the search tool. It boiled down to:

A DB has an - often beautiful and subtle - acoustic sound which is difficult to amplify, while an EUB has no acoustic sound and must be amplified to try to emulate that sound. Go figure.
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's no comparison. Playing EUB will teach you little on how to produce a sound from the bass.
  12. McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Congratulations on choosing the acoustic. Now when a situation where you have to play an EUB come up, you can whine along with the rest of us.
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Coughcough *sniff*

Coughcoughcoughcough *SNORT*

coughcoughcough *sniff* coughcoughcough *WHEEZE* coughcoughcoughcough *Haaaaaaacccckkk!!!*

Doggonnit, just when I thought I was getting over that cold, too... :meh:
  14. McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had a similar experience. I started on middle school on e-bass and picked up the acoustic in high school and a mere 17 years later I feel like I've almost fully made the transition.
  15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001

That's that you've got the DB down pat, you can start building that particle accelerator out of that old clothes washer in the back yard.
  16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    :hyper: :D :confused:
    Gotta talk to some of these band directors!
    Man, don't they do any string training anymore?
    That's like saying,
    "Oh, you play flute, cool. Well I want you to switch to bass trombone, in one day!"