Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to World of Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomad, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Nomad

Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    After playing around with a friends Squier, I fell in love with the feel and sound of the bass. That night I couldn't sleep I wanted to hold that instrument so bad. That morning, I decided what happened is I found love and began my search for my first. So after some confusing days of research and study I crossed over the Affinity P-Bass by Squier. I've heard mixed feelings over Squier but the price and (as I hear good tone) of the Affinity seems a great start bass.

:help:
    What do you guys think?
    Any better Basses in the same price range?

I really think TalkBass is a great resource, I have fun coming here.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    www.rondomusic.com check out the P basses there. Cheaper and better than a Squier. Be sure to read the Essex Megathread in this forum for info on Essex basses.

3. Nomad

Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    After looking at the page, I cam across the Brice Douglas 4 String Ash. That a nice bass? :)

4. you damn right it is, but its heavy, and you have to remove the neck to do truss rod (you'll learn soon) adjustments. Its a great buy, great quality and you'll keep it for a while, but if you want a real starter try out the essexs.

Actually my first bass was the Brice HSB 896 (passive version of those V2 6 strings) and I love it...now a 4 string seems so small :D (so i got the douglas in 5 string!). Affinities aren't really the greatest, but some people are satisfied, and if you buy it used and dont bang it up, you can prob sell it for same price (~100) later on. Standard squier P basses are a bit better...I myself didn't even consider squier as I didnt want to have to buy a new one later. The essex P basses and Jazz basses are supposedly really good!

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Agreed on the Essex (SX) - hmmmm, nobody ever brought up the issue of why they do that? I believe they're "Essex" basses, yet the headstock says "SX".

I own an SX jazz and think it's light years away from the Squiers and Fenders. I think you're way better off with one of them. I went to Rondo and played a bunch of Brice basses - for some reason I wasn't as crazy about them as I was the SXes. The one Brice Jazz bass kicked butt (I don't know if that's the one you mentioned above) but the rest did nothing for me. If it's true also that you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod there's no way I'd buy it. On cheaper basses the necks I've found need to be adjusted more frequently and that is ONE MAJOR PAIN IN DA BUTT. My Dan Electro is like that and it's a drag every time I need to readjust it - which is a few times a year.

:smug: Welcome. You have much to look forward to. Hey, ever hear of a Bongo bass? You should go play one at a guitar center.

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Don't buy a squire if you can help it...
    I agree, with the guys who say go essex. I got my brother into the essex brand. He had a squire affinity pbass that had been given to him, and the essex jazz bass was a huge step up in playabilty and tone, even though it was actually less expensive than a squire afinity p-bass.
    If you are starting, i would say go with essex because they are really cheap, and they are great basses for upgrading since most everything (except pickgaurds) are the same size as standard fender modular parts.
    If you liked the feel of the squire pbass, an SPB-52(maple fingerboard) or an SPB-62(rosewood fingerboard) would be good choices. They are only 109 bucks, and you can get both in sunburst, something that is not available on the afinity squire basses.
    Welcome to bass world, it's a happy place!

7. Nomad

Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Found this at Rondo.
    SX Bass:bassist:

Also, any recommendations of amps that I can get in a 300 price range? I was looking at the Affinity P-Bass Squier package with comes with amp/straps/instructional crap/tuner-metronome. To me, that seems like a nice bang for my buck. I'm not rolling in dough at the moment and if you guys really think that the if the differnece between the SX and Squier is that much.

8. If you just want to get everything new and at Rondo, they arent really good amps, but they have some cheap Ibanez's I think. Otherwise Ebay has some cheap amps (hartke, peavey, etc)...I have a hartke kickback 15 which I got on Ebay for 250 before shipping (120 watts, much more than a practice amp), so I'm sure you can find for much cheaper. In canada it costs 100CND to get a bass across the border, but the essex's are definitely worth it for you in the US.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go for a 25-30 watt amp. Decent sized first amp. A 15 will get ya by though.

10. Honestly I'm going to have to go with the rest and say SX, I have one as my main bass myself and have owned one of their 5ers in the past. Only thing about Essex is that you might get a crap one. Only way to be 100% sure is to go and play one at Rondo Music and find one you like. But even if you get a bad one, Kurt is always very helpful and will replace it for you in a snap.

Honestly if you like the feel and sound of the Squier, go ahead and get it. You can at least try it out before you play it so you know 100% what your getting.

My opinion still goes with SX though, but get what is best for you!

11. Nomad

Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the input 'yall. I see now that maybe taking a different approach rather than buying a package may seem like a good idea.

Tell me this, is the only difference between the SX B-62 4-String Bass and the SX B-57 4-String Bass is the wood type of the fretboard? Is there any sound/tone differences because of this? Or is it just simple personal preference?

Thanks again, I know helping someone that knows poo can be a pain. :smug:

*Note- Does the SX B-57 TM worth the extra 10 bucks? Also, the Bass wieghs 30 lbs! Although I won't be doin any gigs for awhile (Okay, a LONG time), does that seem a little steep?

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you want to get a small amp for just practice, or quite jamming with an acoustic guitar or something, you can get a Peavey Micro Bass on Ebay for around $150. They are great solid sounding amps for the money.

I would also recommed the SX basses. Great instruments. The Douglas basses look great!

13. From what I understand the SPB-57 TM is $10 more because of the top on it (top piece of wood on the body). I honestly just say go with the $109 one unless you want to add $10 on for looks. And the bass doesn't weigh 30lbs...It weights 8.5 pounds, but ships as if it weighed 30 pounds due to the box it is shipped in. The actual weight is towards the bottom of the description. As for the fretboard, there is a difference in tone between maple and rosewood. Rosewood has a warmer tone while Maple has a brighter one.

14. Nomad

Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks Tyler, looks like I'm going to go with SX (w/ Case). Anyways, I'm going to look for some accessories (Straps, cables, etc) Any of you know where I can pick these up?

15. If you look in the accessories part of the Rondo Music website, there should be a strap/cable package for pretty cheap. What are you going to do for an amp btw?

16. Nomad

Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Looking at the Ibanez SW20, just a practice amp. Nothing more. Need something to learn on, then when I get the money I am probably going to get an big ol' Ampeg.

17. The Ibanez should work just fine. I started off on a little 15watt amp myself. It'll work good for just practicing with.

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I have access to a Squier P, japanese, that is really astonishing! Great build, feel and sound, better than most Fender American I have played.
    OTOH, quality varies a lot. Which goes with the price!

Try the gear out, hands on! Do not rely on any advice, when it comes to your first bass. Becasue you have no clue on what to ask for.
    But, if you know a guy that really knows basses, grab him and get out and try some basses. He can tell build quality, and you can tell whether tone and feel fit you.

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    For an amp, I would suggest getting a used Fender Bassman 25. That's what I've got for my practice amp (first amp ever) and it is an AWESOME little thing. Sweet tone, all sorts of jacks, and you can get 'em for under 200 bucks on ebay easy.

20. Nomad

Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Looks like I'm going with this...
    -SX SPB-62 Bass
    -Ibanez SW-40 Practice Amp (All I need)
    -Accessory pack (Cables, straps, picks)
    -Black pick guard (Don't like that white)
    -D'addario strings

Also, what does string gauge effect? Is it just a matter of fit, or is it just a tonal factor? What gauge do you recommend?

Comes out to be about 275 - saving about 30 bucks from the Squier bass pack.

Hopefully I'll be :bassist: ASAP. Thanks guys.