New Tobias Gibson range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadBass, Aug 21, 2005.

1. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Has anyone played any of the new Tobias Gibson range...Basic, Classic, Signature, Killer B, Growler?
    Are they much good, what do they play like, any general observations??? :help:
    Who are the dealers for tobias-gibson in the U.K (in the North-West)???

Thanks for any comments!!! ;)
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    There are many four-letter words one could choose to describe the "new" Gibson USA Tobias', but I'll err on the safe side and stick with "crap". I played a 5-string Basic that had Xacto-worthy sharp fret ends, misaligned bridge, and a fretboard so drying I'd give it 3 months to crack.

I'm not in the "All Gibson Tobias' suck" category by any means - I've played a few various models from the mid-90's that were very nice, but the new models are truly an insult to the Tobias brand name (Unfortunately, Mike's as well by default :scowl: )

Try a search - there's been plenty of discussion about the line and the problems the factory has had with construction and QC issues.
  3. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yup - I tried several of these at the Gibson store in Nashville. Passable, maybe - if we're talking about a sub $1,000 bass. The price tag on those is just criminal. You put one of those next to a REAL Tobias (i.e. MTD) and there is absolutely no comparison (especially since the MTD price is roughly the same).

Like setting a Dodge Neon next to a Ferrari. Both are cars, but the similarities end there.
  4. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Thanks, I just thought that there might have been some sort of an improvment made after the toby pro series???
    Aneyway, what sort of a price am i lookin at for an MTD 6 string in GBP?
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Do a search. You'll find a few threads from when they first came out. And also a report from (if memory serves) someone who has inside info from the Conway, Arkansas plant.

Short version: they seem to have massive quality control issues.

The one I played (brand new in the store) had one pup not working.

You can find them for sale on the web seriously discounted.
  6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    who else has that growler as their profile pic:)
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The basic price for an MTD 635 is $3800. That's with no options, but also with no dealer discount. You can option a 635 up near $5000 list, but you shouldn't have to pay list at any good dealer. I don't know how steep a discount you could get, though; odds are it's not gonna be the 35-40% you sometimes get on stuff like Ibanez. Most of the MTD 6s I've seen at Rudy's in NY still have a "street price" of over $3000. I dunno what the current exchange rate is; try the currency converter at Bass Central is a dealer here (

I said this before, but I'd strongly suggest you look at UK and European luthiers too. Don't assume a bass has to be American to be good. I mentioned Shuker before, but there are a lot of good Brits and Euros. For example, Leduc:

And occasional TBer JP:
  8. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Richard,which luthier do you reccomend I look at for a good bass under £1000?
    I like the look of JP basses and I know that Overwater are great instruments as my teacher has one aswell as a Smith!
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC

I don't know what the prices are of the others, so I don't know if you can come in under 1000 pounds with them. I do know you can do it with Jon if you go bolt-on and keep the options to a minimum.
  10. I owned a Tobias Growler 5 for a little while. It was absolutely beautiful IMO, but I was really dissapointed in how it played and sounded. The low b was weak and flabby, the d and g strings were totally over powered by the e and a, and it just didn't feel good to play. I was pretty surprized given the bartolini electronics, ash, and wenge. I opted for the SR5 route and was much happier. I've never played an MTD, but I'm sure Tobias really went downhill after Michael sold it to Gibson. The fretwork wasn't done well at all. They were very sharp on the edges of the neck and there were gouges in the fretboard on either side of each fret. Needless to say I wasn't happy.
  11. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    I will look into a shuker maybe or see if my teacher knows of any second hand custom instruments he knows of.
    :D Thanks again for the help!!!