Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tobias Killer B Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Today my store received a brand new from Gibson Killer B 5 string. It features a walnut body with a morado fingerboard and the radiused top Bartolini pup's that they used in the past. The bass sounds decent enough and plays OK but the construction was not good, at least when compared to other basses with a $3000 list price. The fretwork was ugly, the fingerboard has a few deep gouges. The back of the neck was not carve well in that it has some strange undulations here and there. There's was a small gap between the fingerboard and the neck at the 23 fret. They clearly are using the wrong bridge. The saddles are all adjusted to their furthest point toward the back of the bridge. The bass side of the back of the bridge actually hangs off the back of the bass a little. It just doesn't look good. I'm calling Gibson in the morning to have them pick this thing up.

2. Thats really too bad. A real shame. And i have been hearing alot of the same reviews of the new Gibson/Tobias basses.

3. BottomLine

BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    I own a new walnut bodied Killer B and I think it is a fantastic bass. I've had 'em all from Pedulla Thunderbasses to Rics to Fender Custom shops and this Tobias rocks!

I don't know what the problem was with the Tobias in the previous review, but it must have just been a bad bass for some reason.

Mine is flawlessly manufactured, very comfortable to wear & play with great action and deep, gutsy bass.......the custom Bart electronics are totally silent and you can get any sound you want. :cool:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have a friend at Gibson. Oh, the tales I can tell! I'll put it this: the factory in Conway, Ar. IS NOT up to snuff. I'll leave it at that. According to him, that good one you got is rare! :scowl:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would like to hear said tales. PM if nessicary.

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If you get in contact with them just let them know that they need to throw the towel-in on this. :mad:

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Me too please, if at all possible (PM or e-mail...)

Ray

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I played a couple of the new Gibson Tobias basses at NAMM.

I was whelmed, at best. And for the prices they want, I was less than whelmed. :eyebrow:

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Same here.

10. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    When are we going to let the Tobias name die? It's not the same, what's the point? Tobias, R.I.P. you should always be remembered and never imitated!

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Pssst....Michael Tobias is still alive!

Visit www.mtdbass.com

:D

12. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

Did I ever say he wasen't? Ned Steinberger is still alive as well, your point is? Oh that's right, it's to start an argument to get me banned,,,,,DUH!! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry Miss Nancy :bag:

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, don't pick fights. You're just being stupid.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I hereby decree that Mark Latimour shall be known as Miss Nancy, forthwith.

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Let the Games Begin. :hyper:

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    DOAH !

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Here's the deal. First I WILL NOT name names in this post, but I will tell you some of what I know. Why? Because we work damn hard for our money, and as a fellow bassist, I feel that I should let you know of problems of certain high end basses to help save you money and grief. That said, here goes. My friend at Gibson told me that the factory in Conway, Ark. is staffed with woefully inept workers. When they first restarted the Tobias line, they were putting 4 strings bodies with 5 string necks, and the QC guy thought nothing of it. He said they looked fine. The necks are unstable and they are way behind in their orders. The ones that they do ship are being sent back because of crappy work. Not all of them, but most. Every now and then a "good one would accidently be made." (his words). They've contacted artist to use them, me included, but after getting their first Tobias, they were all emailing them with comments ranging from "Thanks, but no thanks." to "These things are crap!". I'll stop here. If you got one of the "good ones", then you're lucky and I'd keep it, but this is just something to think about before you buy one. BTW, the models in question were the Growlers and Killer B's. I don't know of the other models.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think Miss Nancy read this post:

and understandably thought that you were misinformed about Michael Tobias' heartbeat. No need to start talking about attacks and bannings.

For what its worth, pink is this man's favorite color:
    [​IMG]

ON TOPIC:

Ive been hearing a lot of bad things about these basses too. Its a shame to hear it, but its good that you're letting us know.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    No prob.

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I had heard rumors and speculation over the years that the Gibson Tobiases weren't up to snuff compared to pre-Gibsons, but I didn't know it was THAT bad. Dang. What a shame... outrageous really. Seems like 90% of the time, when a big company buys out a smaller one, it's the kiss of death.