Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New tonal possibilties with a StingRay 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TSanders, Feb 4, 2006.


  1. Ive been meaning to do this thread for a while, but havent. I have time now, so here goes.

    Im 22, and spent a couple years trying to find "my sound" when I was about 18-20, and on the road. I had about 20 or so basses come through my hands, and finally realized that my sound is a P-Bass or StingRay/Sterling (that is combined with a GK 1001RB-II, and GK Neo212 and 115 cabs).

    So I get this sweet StingRay 5, killer low B, and tone for days. Through the GK rig, its 95% of being exactly what I want. What about the other 5%? I start thinking and read some posts by this cow guy/new EBMM sales monkey with more Bongos than one can imagine. He and a few select others at another bass forum keep talking about TI flats. So I figure, what the heck. Why not try em? So after a conversation with a very cool fella at the other forum, I have a free set of TI flats on the way.

    I get em, slap em on, and start to noodle. Eh, Im not blown away, but have a practice that nice. At practice in the mix, KILLER. Not nearly as "dead" as I expected, still with plenty o'sustain. Takes some of the Ray edge naturally, but talk about a smooth, thick tone. The high end isnt as clear and zingy, again naturally. However, the high end, and notes in the upper register are more present in the mix, more defined even. The mids are thicker than Ive ever heard from a Ray5, and the lows are growly, and still retain great clarity.

    Truth is, there are tones in my Ray5 that I didnt even have a clue about until I slapped those TI flats on it.

    So all that said, if you have a StingRay4/5, Sterling, and are looking for something fresh, try a set of flats. TIs, Chromes, EBs, whatever. My ears thank me, and your might too (not thank me, thank you:D ).

    Just for kicks, the StingRay 5 spoken of:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sing it, brother! I'm quite happy with my new standard string, Group I EB flats.
     
  3. bovinehost

    bovinehost

    Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Flats on a Stingray, you say?

    Dang, I might have to try that one of these days.

    Oh, come now, you can imagine five, can't you?

    Glad it sounds like you wanted it too.

    Jack
     
  4. msquared

    msquared

    Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the TI flats + Stingray. The previous owner of my SR5 sent it to me with them on it and it sounded great.
     
  5. irjason

    irjason Supporting Member

    Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Interesting. I would have never though about it. You guys with your Stingrays... makes me wish I still had one.
     
  6. I'm a TI lover as well, if you think they sound good now give em a few months, mine are at about a year. Still decent sustain but so punchy and just smooth that I smile everytime I pick up my fretless strung with them.
     
  7. syciprider

    syciprider Banned

    May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I got a set of Daddo Chromes waiting for the present EB set to wear out.:hyper:
     
  8. LeonD

    LeonD Supporting Member

    I had a set of TI flats on my SR4 for about 8 years. Finally, one of them broke. I didn't even think twice. The second set has been on for about 2 years now.

    I wouldn't even consider any other string on my Stingray.

    LeonD
     
  9. JoshB

    JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

    I have yet to try those TI's, but my ray currently has those EB flats I bought from you Trav and I LOVE IT! It sounds great and records even better!
     
  10. Josh, Im glad you reminded me of that. I need to leave you some feedback get me another set of those EB flats to try.
    G;ad youre diggin em.
     
  11. JoshB

    JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

    I left some for you as well...
     
  12. CamMcIntyre

    CamMcIntyre

    Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I think i may have to try this....