1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New tone pot in SX, change in sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The sound of my SX, even with upgraded pickups, can have a bit of a harsh treble. I know the pickups aren't all to blame for this because I've played dimarzios in other basses with the tone all the way up and it didn't sound too harsh. The tone pot on the SX seems really trebley most of the way and then when it gets close to all the way down the treble roll off is really sudden. I know a new tone pot will help the evenness, but does it affect the sound itself? Is the sound of a good pot tone pot on full different than a crappy pot on full?

2. get a new cap in there

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I believe that's the fastest reply I've ever witnessed :eek:

4. just call me speedy ;) but the components in the sx's are cheap, if i was you i would put in new pots and a capacitor, i mean its gonna put you back a whole $10 if that...

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Dont forget the pots in the SXs are 500k. Switch them to 250k, which is industry standard and you will hear a clear difference. Much deeper and less treble in my experience.