Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Topic Thread: Keeping hope alive since 2005.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    So, I realized that I am always bitching about the current run of affairs in the effects forum. Most of you that know (or know of) me know that I LOVE this forum, and that I would like to think myself like the non-family uncle of the effects forum and its contributers. I am a near fanatical effects user, and have been for many years - so I try to impart some of my wisdom upon thee...

This thread is for new ideas and concepts, new pedals, new manufacturers... Or stuff that hasn't been talked/discussed about in any great depth. No Muff, Q-Tron, Boss OBD-3, "will my bass work with guitar effects", or other such topics. If you are a new memeber, try a SEARCH, there are years of amazing threads full of great info by talented bassists. Some is opinion, some is fact, all is useful.

So come here with an open mind, a willingness to learn and share. We CAN make this community a tour-de-force when it comes to useful knowledge, and intellectual discussion.

I will add to this thread weekly, sometimes even daily. You should feel freely to do so also. Let us charge the heart, and boost the spirit of this great forum!

Cheers

Alex

p.s. I will add some stuff tonight, but for now dinner is on the table - and my most wonderful wife is waiting. :)

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm with you all the way!

Great, well thought out post.

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    So let me get this ball rolling...

Lately I have been trying more and more effects that are to my knowlage not used on bass by anyone or not many if so. Not just companies, or variations - but true new(er) boundries for bass.

I am trying to build my tone, so when you hear me you are like "now THATS Alex Pearson". One thing I am doing curently is that my board is 99.8% analog now. I was tired of emulation, and DEAD tired of eproms... So I sacrificed all my digital gear that was emulation baised except my DL4 - which I use exclusivly for looping now. By limiting my options I can maximise my creative energy, as I believe that nessesity gives birth to inovation - and I want my sound to be as organic and natural as my music. With analog there is a physical aspect to it, stuff is really happining - not just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

I have a Vanamps Reverbamate comming, its a big change from the huge washes of reverb I have been using for the last 8 years via Alesis andd Yamaha units. But it will help sculpt my tone.

So has anyone gone (or is going) through somthing simalar tone wise?..

Alex

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    yep..

I am in the process if figuring out theffects I really use, and dumping theones I don't.

A year ago, I had everything under the sun, and realized I wasn't using most of it. What's more, is not only wans't I using some of them, I really didn't know HOW touse them.

For me, that's been one of the biggest learning curves with bass is not only what effects to use, but how to use them. It's not just a matter of stepping on a button and playing. You gotta learn the aspects of each effect, and how that effect affects your playing.

I'm trying to go as much analog as possible. I had a digital verb, and dropped it in favor of my Fender. I had some digital BOSS effects, and now I'm pretty much just down to my CEB-3.

Since I play mostly Rock and Funk styles right now, I'm seeing that effects don't playa huge part. Chorus.. maybe some phase and wah... occasional distortion and OD.. but mostly, it's about the finger style.

I know part of this is me maturing as a player and learning how to use my fingers to create the sounds I want, instead of relying on a piece of electronics to do it for me!

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've been thinking about that. I don't think I could ditch the DL4 either (I found a cool thing to do with swells that I'm hooked on), but an otherwise all analog signal path is something I've considered. Really the only thing I'd need to change is my chorus pedal, I have a Boss one right now. Granted, I like it alright so there's an element of not wanting to fix that which ain't broke as they say.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Yes, a lot of people don't understand it takes as much time and practice to use effects as it does to learn any instrument. There is much to learn about using effects, both physicaly and sonicly.

Yes, but no matter how hard you try your fingers can't ring modulate your bass - or phase, distort, filter, etc... ;) Effects do not make you any more or less of a mature player - they are not just for childs play... Its funny the older I become the more I tend to get more into things such as using picks - somthing a lot of us bass players turn our noses at. I am trying to aproch my bass as blank peice of canvis and brush at the same time. I may paint it with a brass slide, bow, or aligator clips - and paint a landscape with it using spring reverb and overdrive...

Wow, I have been spending to much time with my art school friends...

Alex

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, it's come to a minimalist setup. Off to college in about six weeks, getting all the must-have gear together and getting rid of everything else at least temporarilly, down to one stomp-box. Scary, I know. All my gear is getting older and older, etc. I'll be back with new gear SOON ENOUGH!

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    alex i like your blank canvas idea.. it sounds like you are getting really zen with your bass playing and are bound to create some signature soundscapes.

i have been thinking similar things with respect to my pedalboard. i thought about it today, which pedal do i use the most? answer: the ibanez pd7 or dod 250 - thats right - the two cheapest pedals on my board. im thinking about taking the pedals that i only use occasionally off entirely or putting them on a second board, and remaking my pedalboard with effects that i am really going to use. things like the deep impact, though its an awesome pedal, i just cant use it all that often.

as for new and/or previously undiscussed effects, it seems like as good a time as any to bring up rastop designs. i searched it and it does get a few mentions here and there but nothing solid, except possibly for this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62870&highlight=rastop and that was in 2002. i think that rastop make some great effects, and i like the fact that the builder makes 4 effects intended solely for the bass players. for those of you unfamiliar with rastop heres the link: http://www.rastopdesigns.com/effects.htm . you will find sound clips for all the effects, and i am impressed with the quality of the sound these pedals produce. im really interested in exploring all the brands and approaches to bass effects out there, and i was wondering if anyone uses a rastop pedal.

cheers

mike

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Whoah! Let me sit with you guys around the campfire here... Gimme that folk guitar son...

Back when I first started (mid 80s), I had no effects. I plugged, I played. I had no formal lessons. I played by ear. It was good.

Now after a 14 yr hiatus I picked it up again and decided to do it right and with a vengeance. I learned to read music and use proper hand positions. And I went crazy on the effects. I added a new dimension to the tired old songs I play along to. Because I'm not in a band I'm not constrained with what I want to do with the bass and the effects. This helped me understand what effects can do and what works in which situation. This also allowed me to bring out the sounds I have in my head.

My marshmallows are done!

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    MY current effects fetish, is to become the DEFINITIVE resource for you guys on filter / synth pedals.

As for expansion and looking at the way effects work, I'm taking tips from the boards of the pro's - in particular Juan Alderete and Doug Wimbish. If you want to see some bassists using effects well, you HAVE to listen to those guys.

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks man...

I have yet to own or even use any rastop gear, quite a pitty actualy as I also dig his stuff. If you would like to learn a bit more about his (suposivly) amazing pedals - you should check out The Gear Page its run by Scott Petterson who is a phinominal session guitarist. Scott himself uses some rastop gear, and there are quite a few others who do as well.

cheers

Alex

p.s. its an elitist crowd, so play it carefull...

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Juan has always been one of my effects heros... All the way from Racer X, even more so - his chops are better than his effects use!

Alex

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    oo cool another fx forum to browse... elitists hey.. so what your telling me is, dont go in there and start raving about boss and zoom pedals :)

14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    That and don't just ask a bunch of silly questions... ;)

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ever the voice of reason Tecx. Thanks for this thread.

Now heres one for all you guys.

What are the requirements for a tube overdrive pedal.

Does this look like the circuity would work.

[​IMG]

I'd be interested in seeing internal shots of other tube pedals, tplyons internals of those ehx tube pedals would be great.

Personally I don't think they work, but whatever.

I've been working on my looping and delays and such. Turning distortion on for a less than a second and then turniong it off and letting it cycle through all the delays and everything.

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    You and I both know that thoughs pedals are a crock Steve, there is NO way that freaking tube is getting enough juce to do ANYTHING... Scam artist I say...

Alex

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Maybe that's why he declines to post schematics.

18. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Man that sounds like me -- I started playing in 1980. Then had an almost 20 year hiatus. I started reading music last year and got a bit crazy with the pedals (never used them before). For a while I thought Boss and Line 6 multi's were the way to go, but alas, not for me. Strangely, now that I'm playing in a three-man band, I'm actually going the opposite direction with pedals. I use some OD and that's about it. I'll probably add an envelope filter, and might upgrade my chorus.

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Now I decided for my 21st birthday to have an Ambience Jam with a guitarist friend of mine.

Now all in all it worked out quite well, it was totally improv so you know some parts were a bit sucky.

But I can away with some very interesting thoughts about effects and this enviroment. Firstly I need to practice using my Maneco Looper its great fun but difficult to get the time of a loop right, so I basically did a loop of ebow one note and built it up from there, which is fine but I had to do it on every loop.

Next, dynamics, I found that I had problems with various volume changes that I'd never experienced before in a band situation, so I think I need to invest in a volume pedal of some sort or start with my bass quieter and have my amp do more of the work, The eqing was fine and I could cut through but every so often I needed that little bit more umph.

Distortion, now I have a lot of gain boxes, I found that leaving my od on all the time was fine and gave me a nice solid tone to start with anyway (I only turned it off to play with some self occilation), but between my Prunes & Custard, Zoom Ultra Fuzz and Catalinbread Teaser Stallion there wasn't a massive change in tone or difference between them. The subtleties of the P&C were kinda lost in the mix and the zoom just sounded like distortion or fuzz.

The Teaser Stallion was great in both modes fitted much better filling more of the range. So I'm now thinking about taking the zoom off my board as it sounds very similar to the p&c but without that extra dimension the p&c has. My dirtbox fitted very well, although the feedback was a bit annoying it was a less controllable dist compared to my others but all in all a very different sound that is worthy of staying on my board.

To be continued......

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Modulation, now I basically kept my chorus pedal on when ever I had a clean sound going, really nice gave a sweet and more organic vibe to the whole sound. My flager I had to turn up a bit so as to make it a little more noticeable but not swoooshy noticable, flanger works best with any of my dists giving a really dark sound that was very haunting. Filter not I have an mxr bass auto q which is great but it was a bit to subtle overall in the mix, I think my old fx25b would have been better, yes it loose loads of bass and has a volume drop but if you can compensate the volume drop it would have been a lot more wild in the mix. My dunlop 105q wah was ok hardly used it, the mxr sounds a little better for the funk sounds, doing wierd things with dist and fuzz while playing with the dunlop got old really quickly adding a bit of warble to self occilation was fun but again not realy all that noticeable. So I'll probably remove the wah and sell it.

Delay, now these were ace, I switched between my maneco looper doing loops and fading delays and a line 6 echo park doing sweeps and swells was really good, I have just bought a dan-echo which would have been useful for reverb and echo but I made do with out, I'm hoping the dan-echo does the short delays better thasn the echo park which just can't seem to get it quite right.

Compression kinda seemed like a waste of time but maybe it was doing loads of work either way I'm gonna try my nanocomp out to see if I can free up a little bit of space on my board.

So overall the day was great had a lot of fun and has opened my eyes, I'm now thinking I should sell the Dunlop 105q, Zoom Ultra Fuzz, EBS Multi Comp and maybe the mxr bass auto q but I'll propbably keep that because it was only slightly not quite what I wanted but I'll see.

I'm going to be buying a dod fx25 (Original one), bespeco volume pedal which I will also use to control the self occilation of other pedals, if it breaks I'll then get an Ernie Ball Jr Volume pedal.

Am also thinking that some sort of pitchshifting which have been really really useful, so will probably get a whammy but may look at the akai unibass (Not sure though don't want another gain pedal), or possibly the Boss PS-5 but I'll see.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be great guys thanks.

Cheers