Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Toy: Aguilar GS410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Man, this thing pumps out the low end. Bob and Steve(?) at Bass Palace told me that the thing has projection out the wazoo, and I now know why.

The only negative aspect of the GS410 is the fact that the handles aren't really adequate for the weight. These aren't the super-jumbo handy Eden handles I'm used to. It's on casters, though, and my building has an elevator, so I'm not too worried. It's not like I'm dealing with an SVT cab here.

My WT-300 is starting to get worried...it might get replaced with a DB359...

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Have you tried the Ag 750 with your cabinet? I'd certainly look at that having had the 359 for a while. I'll bet there's a noticeable headroom difference between the amps.

Keep us posted on the 410!!

Good luck.

LKaye

3. The 750? Nobody's got any! I also think that if I were going up to those power levels, I'd get separates.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I agree with you. I got a GS410 several weeks ago, and the thing absolutely pumps tight, full low end without being boomy. Very efficient, as well.

I had a problem with one bad driver straight out of the box, but the people at Aguilar were jiffy quick to send me a replacement with no shipping charge. What a great company . . .

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    The cab so nice I bought one twice! Loving mine!
    the GS115 ain't too shabby either.
    I'm planning on adding the DB750 once they actually exist . I'm hearing March-ish now...

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Congtrats Peter and welcome to the club. :D

7. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    The DB750 is very sweet through the GS410! So much so, I'm thinking (thats just "thinking" now) of selling my DB728 and going back to SS.

It'd just be a power trip, though.:p

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hey Jvtwin, where'd you get to play the DB750? NAMM?

9. Is it really that good to compare to getting rid of the 728? I am personally planning to get the 750 when it comes out to all of us peons in the general populus

10. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Yeah. I did a A/B with the DB728 just to see (hear) the differance. All I can say is, as far a SS/hybrid amps go, this one really kicks serious ass.

It's not warm like the the DB728, but It's pretty close. It holds the tone a lot better through the register as compared to say, Eden or SWR or even Euphonic Audio ( which I thought made one of the better sounding hi end SS amps out there) Now I know someones gonna box me into the " your biased because you own one" b.s. but, if anybody's read my earlier comments when I was amp hunting knows, I tried everything from Carvins to Fafner. IMO, this one just sounded better then the rest.

If this amp was out before I bought the DB728, I would have bought it right thereand then! It's good stuff!

11. I finally got to haul the thing out and play it in a rock and/or roll context.

-It has a lot of throw; forget about 15s, this sucker could knock over a full beer stein at 50 feet. However, until you get about 6 feet in front of it, notes aren't all that defined.

-Soundwise, I'd call it Ampeg meets Eden--thick, punchy, and loud. If one isn't careful with the midrange content coming from the bass or amp, it can get way too thick in a big hurry.

-The tweeter is wonderful. It's much, much smoother than the horns on Eden or SWR cabinets.

-The handles suck. Even half of a flight of stairs is a bear with them. I wish they'd used the brand that Eden does, because those are nice handles.

I found the perfect sound with my FBB, for fingerstyle, pickstyle, and slap/pop use, by setting my onboard and amp EQ completely flat with the pickup blend at center detent. I cut through a heavily distorted Strat and a loud and not especially skillful drummer (she's learning, though, so I should cut her some slack--naaaaaaaaaaah :D) with ease. I'd like to try it in a bigger/louder context just to see how it keeps up--I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. Now to go get a gig...

12. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    The Aguilar rocks. I just bought a DB-359 head and 2 112 cabs. I also tried the 4-10 and it was great but the 2 112's are lighter and they sound great.

13. Yeah, the aguilar stuff is great. I am getting a DB359 with either a GS210 and GS115, or possibly a GS210 and GS212 instead. It's great stuff, i love it.

14. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Everyone on this string thinks that Aguilar stuff, heads, cabs et al are excellent sounding. No one is saying that it sounds "boxy" or muddy or whatever. I own one 112 Ag and for my purposes it's a perfect blend of weight, price, and sound for what I need. You guys all think these cabs are great for your needs.

Do we need to form an Aguilar vs the rest of them club or something? No one is mentioning the "trash" talk of fixing the Bass Player 1 12 cabinet playoff results here. People are talking very positively about the 359, the 728, and the new 750. A/b'ing them even against each other. We all think the tweeter in the Ag's are better than SWR and Eden which are the basic price comparison of Ag cabinets, not Epifani, EA, and Bergantino which are 30% or more in some cases.

I don't know what I'm rambling about. Aguilar works for many of us and we're not payin' through the nose for 'em. Their heads aren't cheap but I've never heard anyone rip on 'em. So....whatever floats your boat.

L

15. I think my GS-410 can get muddy if it's not EQed right, but that's a question of the player rather than the gear. Anyone who expects the same settings to sound great with any piece of equipment that he uses is, well, a fool.

I think the cost factor is a reason for so much of the skepticism about Aguilar gear. There's a notion out there that only the super-expensive stuff really does the job, which is funny because one of the best 1x12 cabinets out there is the Genz Benz one, which costs half as much as an Ag 1x12 (and 1/3 as much as an Epifani or Bergantino one).

Another reason for so much distrust of Aguilar is that their stuff is trendy right now. Just as there are always bandwagon-hoppers, there are always people who are strongly opposed to whatever is popular at the moment, just because it's popular.

16. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I just wrote a really great response but it took me too long!!

Ya know Aguilars don't have an extensive endorcement list, dealer network, why do you feel it's "trendy?"

The guys who do sell 'em, like ny guitar and bass boutique, Bass Central, Bass Palace and others carry all of the high end stuff yet are pushing Ag's. It can't be that they're all makin' that much off of 'em, especially the GS112's they're selling at close to cost!!

My opinion has always been that the "hi end" cabinets are WAY TOO OVERPRICED. The components of a Bergantino or and EA 112, or an Epifani are not worthy of them charging 30 or 40 % more than Aguilar. Their tone is not a hands down better choice. It's still subjective. Aguilar's price isn't.

It's always less, substantially less. That's all I was saying. Also, I think you would be surprised how much less Eq'ing you'd need with smaller and less speakers. My EA 208's barely need any adjustment room to room. Their only shortcoming is bass projection to the back wall of a large dry room or an outdoor venue. That's why I got the 112....to help project the bottom end a little farther and to add some deeper bottom end without interfering with my flat punchy clean EA sound.

The EA 208 is in every way shape and form a better cabinet that my Ag 112 EXCEPT for the above one shortcoming. It also costs substantially more, but I'm getting 5 speakers, and three way cross over, 2 speakon's, two attenuators, more flatness and consistency, and about 10-15 feet less projection of the lowest frequencies in some instances.

The larger the speakers, the more of 'em, in my experience, the more adjusting of EQ's you have to do gig to gig, venue to venue.

Now that I'm using one large cab that is essentially being used to project more bottom, I'll have to be much more conscious of the low end overriding the rest of my setup.

Good luck, and thanks for your comments.

L

17. It's not that hard to eq your amp, that's what a soundcheck is for. Aguilar seems to almost be a trend, at least around talkbass. That doesn't mean it's not great stuff (if not some of the best stuff)

18. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm glad that some bands have the opportunity to actually sound check. We don't 9 out of 10 gigs.
    We don't live in an ideal world. We live with no sound person, not being able to get into the room we're playing more than 1 to 1.5 hours before the gig, we're always "rushed" just to get our 10 loads of equipment squeezed into a 5x5 elevator, everyone's eating dinner or hors douvres when we arrive and they don't want to hear any noise except a CD playing quietly in our PA once it's setup.

We can usually tell from how loud the room is, how high the ceiling, what acoustics are on the walls, floor, and ceiling, whether we're on a stage or on the floor, what we're generally expecting acoustically and adjust our balance and in my case how much bottom end and mid range I have to tweak during the first couple of songs.

Thanks for the comments. We don't live in a sound checkable world.

L

19. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Ah C'mon - We get sound checks at every show! It's funny though, they always start the same way
    "ladies and gentlemen, would you please welcome (insert band name here)":p

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Congrats onthe GS410 Peter!!!!!!
    I'm picking up your old 210 T's at the BassPalace this weekend!!!! WooHoo!! ROADTRIP!