Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New toy arrived today!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Morley Power Wah Boost

[​IMG]

Not an actual picture, but the same unit. This is my first so called "vintage effect". These were made between 1971-1983 and I was told that I have is an has an earlier one. I really don't care- I just want to see how it does. :)

Ted

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That's the one Cliff Burton used with Metallica right? Looks awesome, I hope it sounds good. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yep- Cliff and Jason both. It is getting tested under fire tomorrow. It has a wah function, a boost function and also acts as a volume/expression pedal. The veratility is the reason what I went for it over newer pedals like the 105Q. This thing is a monster though- built like a tank, it seems.

I'll mess around with it and ad a review.

Ted

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Morley Power Wah Boost

[​IMG]

Well, I got a chance to use it, and here are the initial impressions:

Pros:
    A wonderful, definitive, pronounced wah sound- not a wimpy wah like some others I have used!
    Expressive and reactive to the touch.
    Built like a huge chrome tank- the physical demeanor of this pedal makes other pedals seem wussified by comparison
    Wah is switchable on/off. Can use pedal as a very nice volume/expression pedal when off.
    Boost is on/off. Handy to kickon when hitting higher registers.
    Quiet and transparant- no discernable loss in prescence when placing this pedal in the chain.

Cons:
    Not battery powered- has a built in AC cord
    Not bypassable- must leave pedal in "toe down" position for an uneffected signal.
    Vintage pedal- this pedal has not been made for 21 years and as a result part may be hard to source if something happens.
    Input and Output are on the same side- this can be a small hassle for some players