New toy arrived today!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Morley Power Wah Boost

[​IMG]

Not an actual picture, but the same unit. This is my first so called "vintage effect". These were made between 1971-1983 and I was told that I have is an has an earlier one. I really don't care- I just want to see how it does. :)

Ted

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    looks perrrty

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That's the one Cliff Burton used with Metallica right? Looks awesome, I hope it sounds good. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yep- Cliff and Jason both. It is getting tested under fire tomorrow. It has a wah function, a boost function and also acts as a volume/expression pedal. The veratility is the reason what I went for it over newer pedals like the 105Q. This thing is a monster though- built like a tank, it seems.

I'll mess around with it and ad a review.

Ted

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Morley Power Wah Boost

[​IMG]

Well, I got a chance to use it, and here are the initial impressions:

Pros:
    A wonderful, definitive, pronounced wah sound- not a wimpy wah like some others I have used!
    Expressive and reactive to the touch.
    Built like a huge chrome tank- the physical demeanor of this pedal makes other pedals seem wussified by comparison
    Wah is switchable on/off. Can use pedal as a very nice volume/expression pedal when off.
    Boost is on/off. Handy to kickon when hitting higher registers.
    Quiet and transparant- no discernable loss in prescence when placing this pedal in the chain.

Cons:
    Not battery powered- has a built in AC cord
    Not bypassable- must leave pedal in "toe down" position for an uneffected signal.
    Vintage pedal- this pedal has not been made for 21 years and as a result part may be hard to source if something happens.
    Input and Output are on the same side- this can be a small hassle for some players