Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New toy from Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by notduane, Jan 4, 2001.

1. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    (like Steve Martin in "The Jerk")...The new Carvin catalog is here! The new Carvin catalog is here!

Got the latest catalog in the mail yesterday (01/03/01) and noticed somethin' interestin'.
    They've got a new model - the "P". I was thinkin' along the lines of a Precision type.
    Nope. The "P" is for Piezo-electric. You can now get their LB70 series(?) with
    individual piezos in the bridge, in addition to the J/J or J/M-M pups.
    How `bout JUST the piezos, route out some "tone chambers", slap on a highly figured top...
    Oops! That'd be a Rob Allen :p:D .

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What's the big whoop with Piezos anyway? Not that they may not be any good, I just haven't been fortunate to try them. I could read about them somewhere, but I'd rather hear it from someone in the trenches here on TalkBass.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    i think peizos use the vibrations to transmit the sound. They're the only p/u on my ashbory. Thats all

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You mean they don't push and pull the magnetic field through a stationary coil to an induce a signal for amplification?

Actually, I don't really care if they measure the average distance from Mars to Venus for that day and convert it to digital amplification information.;): What I really am getting at is - Do they offer something different/better sonically?

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-04-2001 at 02:00 PM]

5. I guess you could say that a piezo adds somewhat of a sparky, sort of acoustic like quality, to the sound.

I think they sound a bit harsh on their own, but sound great when mixed with a magnetic pickup.