Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Toy (G&L JB-2 fretless)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rod B., Jul 18, 2002.

1. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The thing looks new and I got it off eBay. I mean not even shop worn. The strings still had metallic ping when I first plugged it in.

It weights just under 8 pounds and is balanced very well. The setup is fairly low action with *very* little neck relief. I really only tried it with everything dimed and just used my right hand for tonal variation.

I find that if played like I play a fretted with the right hand tips and back toward the bridge, you almost can't tell it's fretless. I'm sure most non players couldn't. To get max mwah is a whole other ballgame. But with some tips I've received, it was pretty easy.

It will be interesting to see if I lose mwah (or some mwah) when going to Half-Rounds or if it is totally technique.

I can see my fretted basses are going to be lonely for a while. :)

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Wow, nice bass - Enjoy!

3. What a beauty! Keep us posted...I've got a lot of interest in that bass, both the fretted and fretless models.

4. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The general opinion so far is extremely positive. Nice fit and finish. Very clear sound soloed. Very nice mwah. I probably won't put it in a band situation until next week. Right now it's wearing roundwounds. I'll try half-rounds just to see... I have a feeling I'll end up going with the Elixir's. I think I'll like the roundwound sound best, but would like to prolong fingerboard life as much as possible. But, tone is what counts most to me.

I tend to have everything dime'd, or the bridge pup backed off about 20%. Most tonal variation, and variation of mwah to thump is done by my right hand.

5. You might consider trying GHS Brite flats; they are "ground wound" and retain quite a bit of the brightness that you expect from roundwounds.

6. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Nice Buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations! That is sweeet!

8. Thats a beautiful bass. I've been trying to get my hands on a fretless for a while. I hope you have fun with it.

9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    great axe man, congrats.