Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Toy to play with!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, May 8, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just traded my Spector for a MIA Jazz deluxe! I really love it. It's one of the older models that has the precursor to the noisless pickups. You know, the ones with the fat single pole pieces. Very nice bass. Any other owners out there?

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    those are such sweet basses congrats.

/. PICTURES!

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm at class. I'll get out the digicam at home and post some pics. I warn you, drool-proof your keyboard.

EDITPics!!!!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let the drooling begin! :D :p

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Looks like candy apple red? Very nice bass, and I AM drooling. I'm looking to get a deluxe jazz bass myself. Jazz basses feel like a sportscar, while my p-bass, as much as I love it, is more of a 4 wheel drive pick-up. I drive a Mustang, so I better play a J bass.

:)

5. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Nice bass! That looks like an older model judging by the single pole pickups and the two string-trees on the headstock. Still an awesome bass though! :D

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice Jazz,

Congrats.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have the same bass but with a maple neck. The electronics in this bass were made by John Suhr of Pensa-suhr fame. He left Fender in 1998.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It looks more like Transparent Crimson or TransParent Purple. Fender offered these t colors on that model & they looked VERY SIMILAR in person.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have the original tag that it had on it, fron GC-ewww..... Anyways, i could look up the color codes at work.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes Nino you are right! my 98 is crimson transparent but the 97's I've seen were a different shade of red boardering on purple.

11. The two string-trees are a custom mod, not stock. I could be wrong but all 4 string fenders come with only one string tree.

But the added string tree really makes a difference, the A string on my MIM P-bass would always just FART until I got a second 'tree.

12. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I didn't know that! Maybe I should look into that for my MIA deluxe. Quick, cheap mod?

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow that is really beautiful!!!

14. @BASSnSAX

I think your wrong, I think I remember seeing the 4 string deluxe with 2 string trees in an older frontline mag...I could very well be wrong though...

EDIT:
    Looking at the pic the 2 trees look differenet and I just came back from looking at an old frontling...and only 1 tree on the 4 string...

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no, it was modded. The string trees don't match. One is brushed, one is polished. But man, it's sound is tight. I strung it thru the body and it tightened up a bit. I can't wait till these strings die so I can try the marcus miller sig. DR's. Gonna have some fun with this baby.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey tmo33, try the low riders in nickel. Imho the high beams or fat beams are TOO bright for this bass.

17. That, and my BadAss II bridge make my P-bass soar! I love it to death, and it's even replaced my Modulus as my favorite! :eek:

18. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Sorry to say but I hate fenders man. I hate everything about them except that they are easy to play. I dont like the sound or weight or price. But I am a noob and dont know what I am talking about.

I do think that bass is nice, I like the goldn knobz

V,
    Eric

19. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Do you mean golden knobs? I don't see any golden knobs. If you're talking about the tuning machines, I think that's just the reflection of the wood in the background. But, maybe they are gold!

20. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Nah, the knob"z" aren't gold. I should know: I traded for it!

Nice to see it up and running. The 2nd string tree was put there by the world famous Mike Lull. He put it there to combat some nut buzz.

All the hardware is stock except for that tree.

I just couldn't dial in a good sound with my current setup. Plus, it was too nice a bass to be sitting around in the basement. Hopefully it's found a great home and will get the love it deserves.

:bassist: