Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Toy!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scott D, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey guys, I just got my iPod today! I love this thing! I got the 15GB model, which is the base one now. I've got about 1000 songs on it right now (around 4 GB) and that's my whole library. I got sick of the 64mb SD card that I had on my Pocket pc, and deciding what 12 songs to put on it, because my music tastes just keep on changing. I got it for $294 + shipping (came out to $308) from cdw.com. I decided to not pay $20 extra for sales tax, so I just got it online. But I found out that Apple has a physical presence in each state, so you have to pay sales tax through them. But anyone considering these should get one! It might be a good idea to get the 20GB model, though. Those come with the Remote, case, and dock. All which are good ideas. All I need is another dock>Firewire cable and a case. I plugged this into my car, and man, it sure is nice having this many songs to choose from. It's small, holds ALOT of songs, and is just awesome in general.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I got my 20GB a couple months ago. I love it, use it all the time, good stuff.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I use Creative Zen, the 20GB version, though there is now a 40GB version also. Works very well, is small, and sound is excellent.

4. Isnt the battery gonna die in like...180 hours?

5. Maybe but look ... 180 .. 180 !!.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I got the 30GB model for $250. It rocks. I expect to have my cd's ripped to mp3 by summer. :D

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It blows my mind that I could potentially be carrying around my entire CD collection in the palm of my hand. I wish I had the kind of scratch to blow on one of those dealies.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    180 hours? It's done much much more than that already, and it still holds the charge very well.

9. I got one too. i put about 2500 mp3s on it and ive started ripping cds to it, about 15 so far. It isnt even half full.

The thing is, I go in there looking for an ipod and i see the 20gb one for 400 dollars. This one holds 10 gigs more and costs a lot less. I love this thing!

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah man, they are mind-blowing. I mean, they are basically a little hard drive with an LCD screen, but still, they are very convienent. I've been having such varied music taste lately-from Bone Thugs to The Cure, Nick Drake to the Microphones, just all over the place. I love having all of it on a portable unit.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like to put it on shuffle, and make on-the-go playlists of various genres or artists, best radio station I've ever heard :D

I have dumped so much music on it so far and so quickly, that I often forget what exactly is on there, so I get a lot of random tracks I didn't know I had, which is always a pleasant surprise :)

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Me too. Lots of variety! Best invention in a while IMO.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was reading an article from the UK about the effect the iPod is having on people, and it's place as a social icon now.(ipod - therefore I am )

the article is pretty weird, the guy seems to be somewhat of a neoluddite and he's making a strong point of that, but eh...
    there was one quote that really stood out though that I liked.

:D

14. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    the ipod looks nice, but I'm a gamer, If I had the money I'd probably save it for the upcoming PSP (playstation portable). I've heard it'll have similar buttons as the I-pod (no pressure, just touch). Either that or a new bass...yeah probably a new bass.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will judge them, and frown upon their technological inferiority.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    there are games on the iPod...solitaire, parachute, brick attack and just recently added, music quiz(which gives you small snippets of a song and you have to answer what it is)

:D :p

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, mine has that music quiz. It's pretty fun!