Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New toys for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RebelX, Nov 17, 2001.

1. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    I'm happy to say, I'm the proud new owner of an Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab. After a practice one day where I was cheating and using my Bass Pod through the PA, my guitarist shamed me by telling me how nice it was for me to have a "thick" tone again. He was used to my SWR setup (Grand Prix, PV CS1200, and a SWR Triad) that sounded great close up but didn't carry that far and got lost in the mix.

After that, I knew my days with the modern hi-fi sound were limited. I went shopping for a new cab. I looking for anything I could my hands on to play through. I found some SWR's at one place which sounded nice, but not quite what I was looking for. I couldn't find any Eden's within a couple hours drive, so I figured what the heck, I'll give the Ampegs a shot. The only cab in the store was the SVT-410HLF with a nice SVT4-Pro sitting on top of it. This combination was killer. Handled the 5 string perfectly and was very versatile for sounds, including the big thick rock sound I need right now. I was sold on the cab!

Now for the advice portion. There's a reason why you should bring your own gear to try new equipment, I enjoyed the Ampeg experience so much, I ordered an SVP-Pro preamp to go with it. I can't wait until it arrives.

So now that I finished jamming with the cab today, I'm very happy. I put the 410HLF on the floor, my triad on top of it and sent 600 watts into each cab using my Grand Prix. Big, fat, punchy, pant flapping bass.:D

Ya gotta love spending money.

Thanks for listening,

Matt

2. Sounds good Rebel! :D

New toys are a kick in the keester,eh? :p

I have the Ampeg B2R and was considering the 410hlf but would like to stick w/ an 8ohm cab.since sometime in the future I would like to add a 115.

Rock on!

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hey, Matt - congrats on your equipment. There's an Eden dealer in Dover, NH, about 1 hour from Concord. Prices are on the high side, but last time I was there, they had a decent selection on the floor. PM or e-mail me if you are interested.
    - Mike

4. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    Thanks guys!

MikeyD
    I always forget about the seacoast area. Doh! I was planning on spending a lot more time testing out cabs, but I fell in love with the 410HLF. Big thick and meaty with no problems handling the low B. With the Hi-Fi sounding triad sitting on top of, I drove my bandmates crazy yesterday. I was a lot louder than I needed to be, but oh well. Once I get the SVP Pro I'll have to see if I can find a Doug Pinnick type tone using the Grand Prix for the clean sound. Should be fun.

Thanks,

Rebel X

5. I like to spend money too. That is definately a good cab. Right now I am thinking my next cab will be a 610hlf. Have fun flapping people's pants!

jtbp

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    new toys are fun!
    congrats...
    play nice

7. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    Thanks.

At next week's practices I already said I'd turn it down.;) :D

I actually wish the drummer would go back to his VDrums for practice. There's something about being able to tell the drummer to turn down and him being able to do something about it.

Rebel X

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Got to agree with you there...
    I loves me some VDrums!

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Your drummer has VD?

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here, with what's possible... but wouldn't it be possible to run both preamps with the same rig?

Possibly giving you more tonal options. I don't know if I'm losing myself, but you should be able to use a 4 channel mixer for this...

Take your two "line ins" from the mixer and plug them into your "line outs" on the preamps, (Which should consume 2 channels) and then taking both "line ins" from your preamps and plugging them into your "line outs" of your mixer, and in turn running that into your power amp?

I'm not sure if that would work, but if it's possible, it'd be an incredible, you'd be able to blend each preamp, so you could get qualities from each, and twice the tone shapping.

Just a mere suggestion, and rambling from nearly 1 am. :)

11. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    This is the exact problem I've been going over for the past week. Very soon, I will begin to assemble a rack, and I was wanting to use two preamps (one for effects, one for clean) and switch between the two while using the same power amp etc. For my purposes, a line mixer won't work. However, an A/B box system will. Still working out the details, but I'll get back to you w/ stats, etc.

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm working on getting two pre's to work together as well, an Aguilar DB680, and a SWR 'Stella. I am currently running the output of the Stella into the fx return of the 680, which has an fx blend. Sounds alright, but I might try something else, as in this config. the mute function doesn't work.

13. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    CrawlingEye, I think this is what you were saying , but maybe a little easier to follow.

It is possible to run both with just a little mixer. Get the signal into both pre-amps by either splitting the bass signal or by plugging into to one preamp and sending a DI (pre EQ/pre master) out to the input of the other. Then take the pre-outs from both and send them to their own channel on a mixer. Take the combined signal from the mixer and send it to the amp input. Balance the sounds with the mixer. There's some more tweaking involved, but this is the general gist.

It should be fun to try anyway. I'm not sure if I'd ever use it, but I've always wanted to try.

Rebel X

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

You got it, thanks for clarifying.
    I've always wanted to try that, just out of curiosity, also. :)