1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new toyz ehx / tech21

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alangoldstein, Apr 1, 2009.

1. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    got some new toyz in the mail

tech21 vt bass ( its an instant "yes / rush / tool" type of tube svt emulator ... a drive, like a tube amp would have.

ehx electric mistress ( stereo ) its a chorusing flanger or both seperate. or together. or seperate lol

ehx memory man w/ hazarai ( stereo ) its a delay with hidden features such as looping, flange, reverse , tap tempo too! its really amazing for tapping and solos up high . its digital and it sounds analog. it saves presets when u unplug it! but not loops.

ALL AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

if anyone has a question id be glad to answer ?

=) special thanks to EHX for the support over the years.

im not endorsed by tech21, but i love this vt bass pedal and the RBI / RPM i no longer have the rbi.

2. The VT Bass is a wonderful tool. I was unimpressed with it at first, but I came to value it as something that has multiple applications, and it is effective at all of them.

I hear the SMMwH is wonderful as well. A man of your talent ought to be able to make the most of these new acquisitions, have fun with them. :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wish I could find the Yes/Rush setting in the VT. How do you have it set for that?

4. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    hey wassup freaqy ? thanks. yeh another cool thing on the hazarai mem man is the "hold down tap tempo to reverse what u just played " when u want it to . i love this pedal its insane. it can sound very led zep mars volta nutty if u want it to. and very classy with the more softer stuff like tapping, solos... etc. really nice it looks great too like all kamakaze sorta paint but blue not red idk.

actually i always liked the vt bass over the tinny sounding bpddi or whatever u call it. the only stuff I LIKE ( just my opinion ) from tech 21 is the rpm rbi and vt bass.
    i did not like the bppdi nor the psa.

i always wanted to try the sans classic or gt2 or tri ac even for guitar. but havnt

5. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    to get my rush setting i use only the front pickup ( neck pup ) p pup u might call it. in my 3 pickup custom bass. i go passive. ( my bass has a pull up knob )

drive on noon or 1 around there.
    level way down cuz my pedal is tooooo loud otherwise ( match the clean bypass ( your bass volume ) with the effected volume or else )

character back off to 11

mid 1
    treb 1 -3 depends
    bass 3-4 o clock

or try eq flat..... but drive 1 character 10 - 11 ish see what u find?

every bass is different so is our plucking styles.

and pups.

***** ADD A TOUCH OF CHORUS EFFECT!!!!!!!!!! ***** instant moving pictures tone for days.

6. I've definitely found the drive around the noon setting to be useful in achieving these tones, in addition to some extra treble and bass, though not to the point that the mids are scooped, mind you. I like to roll off a smidge of character as well.

7. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    just to clarify, the ehx SEM is neither a chorusing flanger nor a flanging chorus. because the chorus and flanger are in parallel. yeah.

:D

8. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    shinobi what i meant by that was since u can use both together at the same time u have a chorus + flange if u want. i wanted to embelish how you can use both at once. not just a chorus OR flange.
    i was talking in lehmans terms not parelell series yada yada tech talk. =)

so its a chorus and / or flange =) hows that?

9. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    what are these petals you speak of?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I briefly experimented with this setting at soundcheck today. It does seem to get something like that tone. I think I'd have to tweak it to my equipment, but it does seem like the VT will cop it. Thanks Alan.

11. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    your welcome! i will experiment more too. the time i got to blast it loud with a band was thru a 215 ampeg classic cab

not my rig. i use 10';s 12's and horns... so settings may very due to tweeters used.

but yeh keep tweaking the drive and character knobs... leave the 3 band ( vt bass pedal) eq flat for starters then dial in after u get the "tube" drive gain u desire.

a great CD to listen to for a great geddy / squire / tool sound

is queensryche empire. listen to "della brown"!!!!!!!!!!!!
    or the promised land cd is HUGE sounding. ( eddie jackson )

i think he used a spector 4, using just the p pickup ? and a pick . on those. im not certain.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Those settings sound like they will have a HUGE bass/treble boost = lost mids. The treble is boosted even with the knob at 12 o'clock, putting it up to 3 is a large boost considering how sensitive the EQ is. And the bass level at 4 - I'm scared to do that in case my rig explodes, it's very bassy even at 1. But if it sounds good to you, that's what matters at the end of the day!

13. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    i hear u danny! but so many factors...

i went passive no EQ on my bass and no eq from the head. thru very muddy 215 no horn cab

also i used only one pup . the neck pup

everyone different! i just suggested my setting forget the EQ

try character at 10 - 12

drive from 11- 1

to your taste.