1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new traben pup position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thefunkelastic, Mar 8, 2008.

1. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    Like a lot of people I know I'm gassing for one of the new trabens with the burl top and aggie pre, my question is, the pups look like they're in music man "sweet spot" positions, pretty much like the music man stingray HH, am I crazy in thinking that?

anyone thing they're have a "music man knockoff" tone?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Pictures?

3. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Which one is the "new traben"?

4. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    sorry I'm an idiot for not specifying, I meant the new "chaos" models

here's a pic

[​IMG]

5. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Hmm, interesting. To my eyes, the pickups look slightly closer to the center of the body than a MM. I'd be curious to hear one, for sure.

The 5-way would defintately give it the versatility of say, a 30th anniversary Stingray. The questionmark, of course, is how their custom pups interact with the wood/preamp in order to keep the highs glassy and not harsh.

6. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    no one else has any insight into this?

7. Doesnt look like the MM HH positions to me.

Reminds me more of the Warwick $$, which doesnt sound like the HH MM at all :p

8. hmm, might look more centered because the neck is 24 frets by the way, dont forget that.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Now if they can do something with that headstock, Traben may just have something!

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Thats what I was thinking, the lower cutaway on Traben's is very far back.

11. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    At least they stopped using that horrible looking tribal pattern bridge.

12. While i didnt take that into account, they are alot closer together than the HH ray

13. The bridge pickup looks to be closer to the middle and the neck pickup looks to be in about the same spot.

lowsound

14. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Yes I agree. They claim on their website that the bigger bridge makes a bigger tone. When I've tried those basses all I got was metalic sounding clanging.

15. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I actually like the "Bigger Bridge", mine has a fantastic deep, smooth tone with no metalic clang, but if I wanted, I could eq a bright metalic tone.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

It might come down to the way the woods and electronics are, but I don't think it would have the bridgey burp of a MM.

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Here's a quick somthing I whipped up, its not exact, but it dose give an idea.
    They're lookin' close.
    I think the Traben's pic is smaller than it should be, which makes the pickup look further forward than it should, would be easier if you could s the bridge better.

No matter what, its gonna sound gooooood!:hyper:
    Trasting.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Does that Traben have Delano pickups? I can't see what they say!

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    This model has Rockfield pickups and a Rockfield preamp.