Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New track from Pete

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Pcocobass, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey guys,

Here's something that I recorded a few months ago. I wasn't crazy about the sound quality of the recording but I like the energy of the group. I also had to compress it quite a bit so forgive me!

Anyways, the personnel is Idan Santhaus, tenor; Bruce Harris, trumpet; and the "all Pete" rhythm section: Pete Malinverni, piano; Pete Polinski, drums, and yours truly, bass.

C & C welcome....

By the way, I used my Kay with Velvet Animas.

Attached Files:

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Nice man!!! It swings hard. Nice solo too. I enjoyed it. Reminded me a little of The Cannonball's Quintet with Sam Jones. He's one of my favorites.

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Swingin' Pete. Nice solo too. :cool:

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Hank Mobley tune, right?

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Thanks guys. Fingers, Sam is one of my favorites, too. He swings hard!

Yes, Ed, I think it is.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Pete, I don't know if you have one, but if you do...quit your day job. This stuff is intense.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Killin. Big sound. Use all the bass and still have the big sound and big groove. Sweet. Nice spot in the groove, right out front ready to fall into tomorrow without ever really doing it.

I was just in New York for a couple days and every place people were playing live music it was all being played right out in front of time like that. Everyone pushes, even the orchestra for the ballet. I love that. Its the energy of the street. Around here in the land of cows you have to make your own energy. You have to conjure it out of nothing. In New York it seems to seep out of everywhere. From the sewers and the doors and windows and the musicians and the help at the coffee shop. It's everywhere. It's Fantastic.

8. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Thanks guys! Glad you dig it. BTW Aaron, those are the Velvets (actually with a Spiro E). I did some other work where the recording quality is much better than this and you can really hear how they speak. I'm probably gonna put that on my website and I'll let you know when I do b/c I know you wanted to check them out. It would give you a better idea of how they sound (at least on a Kay).

9. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Hey Pete,
    I think you should quit your day job too, if you haven't yet. Sounded great w/ Renee Rosnes at the PAC.

Dylan

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds really good, Pete. That's a darker sound than I usually like, but you play on top enough to make it speak just right. What's your action set like? Seems like every time I've played Velvet strings, they felt kinda flabby unless they were jacked up pretty good...and these don't sound flabby.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And let me be the first to say, **** you for playing with renee Rosnes. That musta been fun. Who was on tubs?

12. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Thanks guys.

Dylan, you were killin' as usual at the Hilltop last night too, bro. Your bass is sweet.

Chris, when we made this recording it was the end of the summer and the humidity jacked up my action a little higher than I would have liked. I couldn't get it any lower because the adjusters were all the way down, so I kind of manhandled my bass through that session. But you do have to keep them pretty high in general to get rid of the rubber band sound.

Ed, **** you too. Just kidding. ;) Renee was the featured guest artist at the Purchase Jazz Orchestra concert. I got to play trio with her and this great drummer Paul Francis. It was a lot of fun. I almost got lost because I was so taken by how beautiful her playing was! I also played with her and a small band the night before at a master class she conducted at the college. She is so damn good.

13. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Right on Pete,
    excellent track! You sound great with those Velvets! Please post some other files for us to hear :hyper:

Marco

14. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Thanks Marco,

I'm working on putting some clips up on my website. I'll let you know when they're up....

Pete

15. This man is a poet! :D

16. Yeah Pete...really nice time feel. You and the drummer create a very nice pocket!

17. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Why thank you. I make a pretty mean lasagne too.

18. Hey Pete, this track swings hard!, there's not a helluva lot of bass on my speakers here at work, but I felt it man, definately felt all that stank you put on the solo too, good stuff....it's so true about that NYC energy, the two times I visited the big apple, I remember just being all hopped up, I couldn't sit still! I hope to make it out there again in April, i'll have to check out all you New Yawk boys !

Cheers

19. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Thanks so much guys!