New transformers Ampeg B18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JKoehler, Aug 8, 2022.

1. JKoehler

JKoehler Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Snoqualmie, Wa.
    If this question has already been asked, I apologize.
    Recently I had the power and output transformers replaced on my 1963 Ampeg B18 with original canned ones from Fliptops. The Cleveland 18” speaker also got reconed to 8 ohms, which is what it was originally. Now that it’s all back together, I’ve noticed a slight drop in overall volume from the amp. I’ve tried the amp through another cabinet, Eminence Delta lite 15” 8ohm, and the volume is what it was pre recone.
    Do the replacement transformers work better on 4ohm speakers, or did I get a bad recone? Or is there something more to all this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JKoehler

JKoehler Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Snoqualmie, Wa.
    I posted this in the wrong forum. Is it possible to have it moved to the amp side? Thanks.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What a letdown! I though Ampeg had come out with a flip top that opens like this!
    icegif-1496.gif

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    As you mentioned, there were 8 and 16 ohm speakers in the B-18, depending on the revision. The output transformer has 8 and 16 ohm taps. The wiring was different for the amp with the 16 ohm speaker. Check that your reconed 8 ohm speaker is connected to the 8 ohm tap so that the impedance is matched.

Also, check that the power tube bias is optimized.

Schematics