1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"New" traynor yba-1 mod 1 for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Oct 2, 2013.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
  2. Yes the YBA1 was indeed a 50W bass amp. With only that small amount of power it soon became useless for bass and was adopted by guitar players. The original Hammond transformers were huge for the required service. I've not seen a Traynor amp with a bad transformer. I hope that the new ones are similarly spec'd.

3. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Thanks for the reply, I'll report back after I've tried it. The power attenuator has me interested for practice and home use for some dirt.

I already have everything I need amp wise but at that price point it's worth checking out.

4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    What is the price point?

5. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Ooh, Traynor's getting in on the reissue game? Hope to see a new YBA-3 Custom Special or even the Super Custom Special.

6. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    $649.99 I believe

7. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    thats pretty low wattage 50 watts you say i would need 10 of them.

8. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Yeah that's not the point though, obviously people shouldn't buy this who need a lot of volume or a clean tone!

9. My guess is that Traynor/Yorkville have noticed that locally, here in Toronto, you can find an original YBA-1 on Craig's list or Kijiji pretty much any day of the week.
    Price ranges from ~ $450 up to as much a $600 if the amp has had significant "upgrades" based on guitarist needs.
    So, if the oldies are selling, why not re-issue that amp and take advantage of a market that obviously is already in place.
    As the owner of a low serial number YBA-1, I can tell you that the amp sounds good, lots of tubey goodness, but at its max output, is just not enough for a typical live setting. That and the tone controls are somewhat limited in what they will deliver when twisting knobs.
    I do hope that Yorkville does well withthis amp... haven't seen one in L&M as of yet....
    Fishheadjoe