New Traynor YBA 100!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by qwench, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    PillO and joetiii like this.
  2. Sorry not sure to understand correctly, are you saying there’s a integrated 30hz HPF with the YBA100? My Broughton is set approx at 35/40hz...

PillO likes this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yeah, I was too lazy to figure that - I used an online calculator that I plugged the component values in and it generated a graph - it was (maximally?) flat down to 30 Hz and had a sharp knee starting there. That's all I really cared about. The schematic for the YBA300 preamp (theoretically the same as the YBA100 except for an additional cathode follower for the phase amplifier stage) is in the service manual if anyone would like to check it out:
    https://traynoramps.com/framework/uploads/2020/01/sm_yba100_yba300.pdf
    First "tube" amp I've ever seen with a solid-state phase splitter but there's a tube amplifier stage after each phase so I'm not worried about the power section not sounding "tubey" :) .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Loring and PillO like this.
  4. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    18dB/Octave with the sharp knee at 30Hz. Very cool if you're not anal about having an all tube signal path :) .

Loring and PillO like this.
  5. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

In my (sometimes limited) understanding, isn’t V5 labeled “splitter”?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    PillO likes this.
  6. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Vieques
    In YBAs case, V5 is the splitter

PillO and Lowendtech like this.
  7. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Right, you are. Correction edited.
    That would be the tube that’s kind of by itself on the preamp board?

PillO likes this.
  8. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Vieques
    It's been a while since I've lifted the hood but I believe so. V3 is closest to input jack, V4 is near tone controls and V5 is over by power transformer.

PillO likes this.
  9. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    They could label it "flux capacitor" but that doesn't make it true LOL. The phase is split just before V5 by the op amps driving it. It doesn't bother me (and works great) and I suspect they labeled V5 "Splitter" instead of "Phase Amplifier" just so they wouldn't have to explain what's really going on to mere mortals ;) .

BTW got a rehearsal in on the amp and it performed great with the new 12AX7WB's. I'd still like another 6dB or so in gain - I ended running it with the gain on "10" and Master on "7" same as before the tube swap (and before it went bad). I'd like a tiny bit more preamp overdrive but if you are looking for clean or output tube overdrive it does both those fine :) . If you run the master up to 10 it gets impressively loud & nasty in a good way - really punchy with the amount of power supply sag too.

BTW I'm using a 97dB sensitivity cab, a Peavey 410TVX with the typical "smoke the tweeter and remove the crossover" mod LOL. 101 pound cabinet that someone gave me because with the tweeter smoked (common occurrence with this cab) they sound like poop unless you remove the crossover - and it's too stoopid heavy to gig. Great rehearsal space cab though :) .

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    PillO and bassface69 like this.
  10. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Vieques
    I am really surprised you aren't getting enough drive from the preamp section. I suspect low output passive pickups. You could continue rolling in different tubes til you find the right combo. It took me several sessions moving tubes into different slots before I got it where I liked it.Or just put a driver before the amp to get the grit you are looking for.

Question I have is there danger to running the Master at 10 all the time?

PillO likes this.
  11. JonathanSV

JonathanSV

Feb 9, 2020
    Montreal
    No danger, you can use the master at 10 and adjust volume with gain

joetiii and PillO like this.
  12. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    If there was all them old tube amps built before they had masters would be smoked LOL. Only good reason to turn a master down from 10 is if you want some preamp overdrive.

Loring, rodl2005 and PillO like this.
  13. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I've had no problem with my CTM30, TH350, MiniMAX, etc. But yeah, I'll check it out with a clean boost and see if it's worth modding the preamp for more gain - a bypass cap on the first stage's cathode resistor should do it (so it looks like the first stage of an SVT). I'll probably wait until I'm convinced the amp doesn't have other problems.

PillO likes this.
  14. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to report in. I've been falling out of love with the amp and neo 115 as of late so I decided to try out a few different cabs. TC210, more clarity but still kind of meh. Portaflex 410, very "vintage/muddy" sounding. Decided to take a chance and buy another 1510 and wow... Punchy warm fantastic. I'm back to loving this amp. Should have never sold that cab it's one of my favorites.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I pulled the trigger on a YBA-100. It should be here tomorrow, but it'll have to wait until next week because I'm swimming in gig stress for a show on Saturday.
    I mainly want a low wattage tube head because a guitar player let me use his 70's Bassman which is 50ish watts, I think, and I absolutely loved it for what we were doing.
    That said, has anyone rolled power tubes in the YBA100 yet? And what's the worst that could happen if I did half 6L6s and half EL34s? Is that a thing?
    Lastly, has anyone found the actual "flat EQ" setting? I like to know where flat is so I can work from that.
    I'm excited! Thanks for fueling my GAS!

azwhofan, PillO and Murch like this.
  16. Half and half power tubes is just something I've not ever thought of, nor would I ever do

Rezdog, Loring and PillO like this.
  17. Iommian

Iommian Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2019
    The owners manual says it’s only necessary that the output tubes need to be matched individually in pairs - 2 matched pairs for the YBA100 (6 matched pairs for the 300).

Also I’m far from an expert and never have changed the tubes. :)

Congrats on the amp! Let us know what you think.

PillO and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  18. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Good luck, I had one DOA and one died after one rehearsal - both preamp tube issues I think.
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as you properly identify which tubes are the pairs.
    It's a Ampeg style EQ so flat somewhere around 5 5 5.

Patrice B and PillO like this.
  19. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    My first one was DOA, tube issues. Second is wonderful. I honestly wouldn't bother swapping the power tubes I believe they are Ruby. I would be more interested in new preamp tubes to help increase the clean headroom a touch. The amp sounds fantastic while jamming or rehearing, but there is no way it would cut it live without pa support.

Loring, PillO and bassface69 like this.
  20. Righto, it's possible.

I wouldn't, but that's just me

Rezdog and PillO like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021