New Traynor YBA 100!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by qwench, Jan 16, 2020.

1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    PillO likes this.
  2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    So I finally got a chance to plug in the beast, and I must say, it's glorious!
    As it sits, my first gig with it will be Saturday afternoon, so I'm excited!
    I'll leave the gain and EQ at noon and adjust the master to taste.

I A/Bed it briefly with my Quilter BB800 and it's comparable in volume and tone at my usual gig levels, so I don't think I'll be claiming the amp to be "underpowered" any time soon, but we'll see how she does in real world scenarios.
    I'm excited!
    I'll report back this weekend.

3. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Vieques
    So how did it sound Live?

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, i forgot to report:
    My gig got cancelled due to rain.
    But i’ve got one this Saturday, and it shouldn’t be raining so i’ll let you know.

5. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    It rains in Texas ? :laugh:

PillO and bassface69 like this.
  6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Not great news: I took the head to my gig on Saturday. Soundchecked with it and it sounded great!!
    The amp was sitting out in the sun, though.
    I forgot that when you put the amp on Standby that the Protect and Low Bias LEDs light up, so I thought that my tubes were underbiased. I of course adjusted the bias, actually getting them to go into Protect mode.
    After putting everything back and getting the bias LEDs to turn off, I went to check the amp again and there was very little to no sound.
    With gain and master cranked, it was so faint it sounded like it was coming from another room down the hallway.
    I'm not sure what to do. I'll plug it back in this afternoon in the hopes that it just needed to cool down, but I'm not overly optimistic right now.
    I think I'll check all the fuses as well, see if I can see anything, and make sure the tubes are all intact.
    Any other suggestions?
    And I'll contact Traynor to see if they have an authorized service center here in Austin.

mikewalker and PillO like this.
  7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Both of mine had low volume issues - one out-of-the box and the other after a single rehearsal. I swapped out the preamp tubes and they work fine now. I think I read that they used to use JJ's but both of mine had Sovtek 12AX7WA's - I went with Sovtek 12AX7WB's Sovtek 12AX7WB Preamp Vacuum Tube
    I probably would have ordered JJ's if I realized the ones in it were Sovtek but these tubes are fine so far.
    I didn't pay extra for any "add ons" but one might consider "balanced triodes" for the last tube in the chain (phase driver). I might need three more for a flaky guitar combo I have and might just order them all "balanced triodes" so's I can do all three amps last stages up that way.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    mikewalker, PillO and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  8. Give a call or email at Traynor, they a have very customer service.:)

RevGroove and PillO like this.
  9. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Is it possible you melted the tubes down? Protect refers to the amp, not the tubes.

PillO likes this.
  10. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Good news!!
    I had a spare 12ax7 that I swapped in to see if it was the preamp tubes, and it was!! I replaced the first 12ax7 in line (V1?) and all is well now!!
    I do have 3 JJs coming, so they'll go in when they get here, but until then, we're up and functional and that's all I care about!!

MCF, mikewalker, RevGroove and 3 others like this.
  11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The bias section has Protection LEDs for both sets of power tubes.

PillO likes this.
  12. Do a Fonzie..... bang (gently) on it, and go 'eeeeeeyyy'

If amp got hot sitting in sun, things can expand and.... get littler.

Seriously though, re-seat tubes. Try again

mikewalker, Loring and PillO like this.
  13. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

56ACA588-1A09-4B2C-964F-D025C44B609A.gif
    2A9E1A32-5E2F-4BF5-BDF4-BF409E6407AF.gif

14. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I'm surprised Traynor hasn't reached out to us with bad preamp tubes from the factory. If anyone has called them and had any response over this issue please fill us in :) .
    I'm gearing up to do amp repairs again so should be able to run my 6 preamp tubes through a tube tester this weekend.

mikewalker and PillO like this.
  15. Sorry the word ''Good'' is missing.

A very good service:)

PillO and bassface69 like this.
  16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Gig report:
    I successfully gigged the YBA100 on Saturday. Outdoor gig, adequate PA, so i had the gain at 11 and the Master at 3.
    It sounded awesome!!
    Very beefy, kinda crunchy! It’s not a clean amp at all!
    It was great!
    I’ve got 3 JJ 12ax7’s coming in that i’ll install immediately, and i feel like that will bring the gain down a hair.
    I’ve also got a set of JJ EL34’s so i can blend the two voices together, but i need to do a couple more gigs on it to fully figure out how it sounds.
    All told, i’m very excited! :hyper::bassist:

MCF, Zbysek, RevGroove and 8 others like this.
  17. What cabinet did you use?

MCF likes this.
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The house had a backlined Peavey rig, so i used their 2x15 cab.
    I’ll run the head through my fEarful at volume soon enough.

MCF, kjp360, Loring and 3 others like this.
  19. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I finally got ahold of a crappy looking tube tester from fleaBay and tested the three 12AX7WA's from amp #1 and only one triode section out of the six tested OK :wideyed:. So, kinda wondering if the tube tester was FUBAR I tried a new 12AX7WB just in from Tubedepot. It tests fine :cool:. I'll test the other two that I bought for my second amp and test out the ones I'm going to pull. But you folks should all have yours tested out before your amp craps out at a gig. Dunno where Traynor got these from but their QC sure sucks eggs - shame on you Traynor for building an awesome amp and filling it with reject tubes :dead:.
    Now I'm worried about the 6L6's, I'll test them also soon.

EDIT> Tested all three 12AX7WB's that I received from Tubedepot and all tested good and pretty much the same readings. They 100% test the tubes they ship which is an absolute necessity with any modern production tubes - the factories ship a fair amount of duds (or sells them to Traynor it would seem LOL).
    Went back and retested the Traynor crap tubes and they still test bad.
    Just pulled the three Traynor 12AX7WA's from amp #2 and they all test bad also :dead:.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    MCF, TrevorOfDoom, Loring and 2 others like this.
  20. I would reach out to Yorkville/Traynor and let them know that you had problems and out of pocket costs, in getting the amp working. Historically, they have stood by their products, well beyond most competitors and would likely be appreciative of your heads up.
    Fishheadjoe

Rezdog, MarkA, Roxbororob and 6 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021