1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Trend in 810 placement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MotorTed, Mar 17, 2009.

1. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I just went to see Papa Roach and they had 3 svt cabs laid down and stacked sideways on top of each other on BOTH sides of their drummer. That's a total of 48 10 inch speakers.:eek: It really made the 2 Marshall stacks each guitar player had seem small. Visually it was cool and it makes you wonder what it might sound like..........in my garage.:bassist:......or down the street!

I had seen old ACDC footage where Cliff williams did this as well with 3 810 stacked sideways, but I havent seen it since. I have seen bands lately using 2 810 laid sideways which would be the same physical size as 2 standing up. is that just for transport ease with roadcases?

2. Your math was a little off, that is 48 speakers, assuming that there were only 3.
    3x8=24

24x2=48.

That being said, I would be surprised if they were all hooked up, or even all loaded cabs.

3. 6 x 8 = 64?

4. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    My dad told me when he used to go see thrash bands in clubs they would stack their cabs like that to the ceiling! But I think that was just because the clubs were small. I doubt that Papa Roach or AC/DC had their cabs like that because the stage was too small.

5. agreed that they are probably all empty, he's likely playing through a DI and straight to the board. laying an 8x10 on its side is hardly groundbreaking....maybe for MTV it is

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe they're dummy cabs and maybe they're not. But the likelihood of their bassist only using a DI is nil. Not with the tones he goes for.

I don't get the whole laying on the side thing, personally. Cabs always work better when stacked vertically. Better throw, better off axis response, etc. However, it's kind of dangerous to stack 810's vertically. So if you have two and stack them horizontally, it's the same as standing two cabs vertically and side by side. And putting a third one on top is better than standing 3 810's vertically and side by side. So if you have to use 3 810 cabs, it's the best compromise between good sound and safety to stack horizontally. It's ridiculous, no doubt, but hey, that's rock and roll.

7. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    roger from less than jake used to stack two 8x10 on their sides although the last few times ive seen em he just stood the two cabs next to each other

8. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I've followed most of the threads here about "verticle stacking of drivers" and it struck me as the polar opposite. The Ampeg 810 is 4 210s inside wired in parallel. These 3 X 810s were mounted inside a rolling roadcase so they could brace them up anyway they wanted. Buckcherry also had 2 810 sideways plus 2 410 next to them. is there something to the series/parallel wiring that would decrease comb filtering?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No. Comb filtering is a physical reaction, not a wiring one.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    In a word, garbage. Unfortunately what looks really cool sounds really bad, so your choices pretty much boil to looking cool or sounding good. You can't have both. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume all but two of the cabs were for show to impress the kiddies and gear groupies in the audience.

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I think it is a matter of perspective.. it may sound ****ing great to the person playing the rig if that is what he goes for.. "its subjective".

If Bill thinks it sounds like Garbage. that's only Bills opinion to what he feels theoretically it should sound like... But that is not necessarily a good thing.. Papa Roach may think that what you consider technically correct sounds lame.

from recording and gigging in more situations than i care to think about . i realized over the decades that the #1 rule is "there are no rules" when it comes down to it...
    unless you are going for clinically precise reproduction such as a typical PA or home stereo.. I dont think that is what Papa Roach's main objective is.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I remember going to a coheed show a while back where the bass player had two SVT's feeding two 8x10 cabs which were stacked horizontally like that. His were in a road case though with the heads stacked on top of each other so pretty much all they had to do was slide the top cab behind the other one, drop the top on, and roll it away. Pretty cool set up if you ask me. I don't know what he's using these days since now they do the whole theatrical stage crap and block out the cabs with banners and crap.

13. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    Bill, I'm glad you joined in as I really value your opinion on this mater. I have a question for you. Is there any sonic difference betveen 2 810 side by side vs. sideways top and bottom? (with minimal floor coupling). also do cabs have to be stacked wood to wood in order to couple?
    Thank You

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The first time I saw King's X back in '94, they played a small regular local bar, and Doug had nine 8x10 cabs laying sideways stacked three-high! Yeah no PA support needed!

Recently, I did this at a couple of gigs with my two big Mesa cabs...just laid them sideways and stacked, and left the head sideways on the floor. Afterwards, someone came up to me and asked if that was some sort of statement I was making with my amp laid like that. :eyebrow: :confused:
    I said "no, I was just too lazy to remove the casters" :rolleyes:

DSC02913.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. If you've got 4 drivers wide by 4 drivers high the result's the same, ie., bad, whatever the cab orientation. A four wide group of tens will be seriously beaming above roughly 500 Hz, with a quarter the midrange dispersion angle as a vertical line of tens. Even worse, by splitting two sets of cabs to either side of the drummer there are going to be serious phase cancellation issues everywhere, both on stage and off. Familiar with the term 'not a bad seat in the house'? With this arrangement there wouldn't be a good one, including the drummer's throne. That's why I suspect most of the cabs were dummies, but then again, playing in a band with a contract doesn't mean you know doodly squat about how speakers work.
    No. Mutual coupling has nothing to do with cabs physically touching.

16. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    im an ampeg guy and i gotta say...that looks ****in killer!!!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Caca, kind of looks like McCartney's rig, except for the horizontal positioning.

18. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Other than shaking the stage a little more, Caca, removing the casters is not necessary for the cabs to couple with the stage.

19. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I've heard guys say that they lay one 810 on it's side so that the crowd can "feel it" but I've never tried it.

20. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    +1 for "they're probably dummy cabs"