1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New tribute

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Orpheus55, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Just arrived!

GLTributeBass.

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Ooooooo, me likey nekkid grainy basses! :D

Jim

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Great grain pattern!

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Looks like the twin to mine (except for nicer wood grain!). Very cool score. :D

Mine has taken over for gigs, and now has become my #1 recording bass, as well. I run into the board from a direct box, and get some very nice, fat tones on the recording.

I'll go out on a limb and predict you're gonna love it.:hyper:

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yep, clear finish on an all ash body is my favorite too. Followed by redburst, blueburst, honeyburst, umm,umm, I love 'em all!

6. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Mines standing in a big box waiting to be opened for christmas:D

7. plugandplay

plugandplay

Oct 30, 2006
    I just got my New Tribby a week ago. I had it setup Professionally, and it is good to go on playing anything. It will spank, slap and sustain forever. I have not ever played an American made but this is sweet. G&L large on the bridge and headstock. Maple neck with satin finish is great. Tri color, pups are so hot, they will knock your face off, but quite as a mouse. I ordered this thru a music shop from G&L so I could get a new one.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. plugandplay

plugandplay

Oct 30, 2006
    Sorry about the hair being on the picture, It is not a scratch.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Is it all in my head or are the new Tibbys sexier than the initial batch that came out a couple of years ago? The logo definitely looks sharper than the basic-black script of the past. However as this naturally finished model illustrates, the wood grains on the newer line are stunning. Yes, some of the older models have handsome grains as well, but the newer models seem to be consistently striking. Or am I'm I projecting here?

r

10. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Has G&L changed the look/materials of the Tributes lately? How to be sure to get a new one, or does it matter?

11. plugandplay

plugandplay

Oct 30, 2006
    Probably only difference is the pots having been fixed, and G&L is bigger on the Head and the bridge on the new ones. Old stock has Tibute bigger on the head and on the Bridge. I personally like G&L bigger and that is why I ordered mine from the factory from a Dealer. There is a list of US dealers on the G&L website. If you order it you will get the NEW stock if that is what you want.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. Barring the pots, I think the new upgrades are purely cosmetic. The classier looking headstock logo and imprint on the hardware are nice but do not enhance playability or tone. And even if the ash used for the bodies are prettier, its still 3 pieces of ash and not likely to differ very much tonally. I think the Tribute line now only uses basswood for their opaque finishes which I think is down to only black at this point. Everything else is see-thru and therefore ash as far as I know. Still, I'd just assume get one of the newer models over the old even if the difference is only looks. Hell, they look good, why not!

r

13. plugandplay

plugandplay

Oct 30, 2006
    If you look at my previous post and click on the thumbnail it will take you to full size pictures if you want to look at the quality of this axe.

14. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nice!

15. Thanks for your comments on my new Tribute. I called Musicians Friend prior to ordering and they assured me the "new" model was what they stocked; said they'd gotten numerous inquiries. I just gigged with it this week and, being a die-hard old (really) Fender guy, my nine other band members were startled I'd put aside the old P for this upstart. I ran it neck pup, series, active and it was wonderful. Parallell led to tinge of harshness, but the GHS light flats kept it in the ballpark. Pls understand, I am not accustomed to "active" or modern bass tones, after 40 yrs or so with P and J basses. I feel a second and somewhat expensive childhood coming on as I'm already gassing for that ASAT thing. Help!!

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Got one. It has the versatility and muscle of a L2000, the comfy neck of a J-bass, and of course the unique body shape of a Tele but in bass format. Has been my #1 for almost 10 years.

r