Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tuba! Hell Yeah!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Beast, Jul 10, 2005.

1. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    Just bought a B&S Parantucci PT-6S. Not that anyone know what that is... but it rules and I am excited. :hyper:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice, I'm a sax player too, so I know how you feel.

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Yay for tuba! I play too but I don't own one and don't exactly know the model you're talking about. I normally play St. Petersburg tubas or Mirafone tubas.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Dude...pics!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No pics, no tuba.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Active or passive?

7. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    what's the bell size? I play saxophone. and tubas are cool.

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I know exactly what Tuba you speak of. That probably set you back about 9k right? I played throughout college on a 4 quarter rotor valve VMI, and a section member/friend had a Parantuci 7quarter size!!! It was massive, and the lead pipe was so big that you almost passed out playing a wholenote pedal F at 60BPM. Pics!!!! I bet that thing sounds like the equivalent of a nice bass with flatwounds through a tube amp
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    We had a Conn (I think) that was in that size range when I was in concert band in High School. The other tuba players played Mirafones. I played the Conn. (At least I THINK it was a Conn.) It was Obviously older than the Mirafones. They had rotor valves. It had piston valves. They had bells only a little bigger in diameter than the euphoniums, maybe as much as 24"( I think more like 20"). The Conn had a bell about 40" across. I was the only one who could lift it. But MAN the sound of that thing.

10. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Mmm...tuba. I play trombone myself.

11. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Congrats!

I played tuba for 2 years in high school, and moved to Baritone my senior year.

I had a blast on tuba. I was not very good at trumpet, but when the call went out for tuba players, I jumped at it and I'm glad I did. I learned to read bass clef then and the rest is history.

I still remember some fingerings. I played a 3 valve for my first year, then when I was 'head tuba kahuna', I played a beautiful 4 valve.

Lot's of fun!
    JB

12. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    No pics yet, becuse its still being shipped.

However, I will tell you that it has 5 Strings, active electronics, a badass II bridge, and a 5-band EQ. :rolleyes:

And yeah it set me back about 10k, and It is much better than the old Miraphone I used to honk on.

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You got a good deal. My friend payed near 12k for his. Upright players eat your heart out.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I paid [ok-my dad paid] a bit more for my DB than he did for my sister's baritone....for the most part-i feel sorry for wind players since their instruments cost so much initially. Then i remember the up-keep costs of strings vs. brass [namely my strings budget vs. my sister's horn maintance budget]-that's where she gets her revenge. I spend between $250-$300 a year on strings [just for my Ray5]. She spends maybe $100 total on her horn.

I'm sure some of the DB guys who own higher end basses would be pleased if they only spent $12k. My DB teacher spent about $10k on his. I spent $5k [including all the fun stuff-electronics, *shipping*, bag, etc]. :)

I would like to learn how to play tuba eventually so that i can cover more of the basses. We had a guy from Indiana State University come in [with a quintet] who played some sick sousaphone. That made me want to play one.

Congrats on the new tuba man.

:bassist:

15. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Tuba!

Nice score on the horn. I'm section leader of my bands tuba line (all of about 5 players). We play through Yamaha sousas and 4 valve concert horns. I wish we had horns like that.

16. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Right on! Tuba might be the only instrument cooler than bass :bag: