1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Tube amp day! HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hdracer, May 10, 2010.

1. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The UPS guy just dropped off my new VB-2 head. I got a great deal on it ($515.00 shipped) it is new and was on clearance from a GC store in OKC. They removed the 6 JJ EL 34 power tubes for shipping. My question is, after I reinstall them do I have to have the amp bias reset? They didn't mark what plug the tubes came out of. The manual says to set the bias when replacing the tubes. The VB-2 doesn't have auto bias so I would have to take it to a shop to have it done. My new Eden 212 cab came too so now I have two of them!! Thump-thump!! :hyper: :bassist:

2. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    It depends on how much you trust the GC or the factory to set the bias, but I'd say that you'd be safe to use them as is until you get a new set of tubes. I would hope that it's set reasonably well at the factory. To be safe, fire it up and make sure that none of the tubes are glowing cherry red or are off, and you'll all least not fry anything. Bias is somewhat a matter of opinion within certain parameters, some people like a really hot bias, some prefer a cold bias. I tend to be a little conservative. The bottom line is that if nothing is burning up and you like the tone, then the bias is good. Oh, and it shouldn't matter which tubes goes in which hole unless the tubes are seriously mismatched.

It might be worth learning how to do the bias yourself, but with the dangerous voltages involved, have someone qualified show you in person. Bias level is a personal thing, so it's good thing to have under your belt.