Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New tube blender pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DHA, Oct 23, 2005.

1. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi,

As some of you know I make a few valve/tube based effects pedals as a sort of paying hobby over here in the UK.

I have been asked a few times about adding a wet/dry mix control on my pedals so that some of the orginal bass can still get still to the amp.

Anyway I think I can do it with a valve by making a new pedal that is in effect an Fx Loop like you see on amps. It would have guitar in/out, effects send/return, blend and level. The valve would not have much gain so it would not overdrive but it would add a bit of valve harmonic warmth.

So you would plug all or some of your effects in the loop and then be able to blend them with the orginal tone.

Have I missed an important feature?

Is this a useful device?

It would sell for about £50 which is about $90 I think, what do you think?

I could design it with an op-amp but where's the fun it that!

I look forward to your comments.

Dave

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think the blender is a great idea, the tube not.

I consider a blender a tool, like a loooper not really an effect like an OD. So I would use an opamp, get the price down in line with a loooper and sell it as an addition to your tube pedals.

I really do not think that the tube will add anything but cost in this case.

Also, for a commericial pedal make sure you have a reversal. I left that off mine and have hit a couple of times where I need it.

3. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am really only into valves as this way it keeps the signal chain pure. But I take onboard you comments about the op-amp and maybe I could offer two versions.

What's a reversal?

regards

Dave

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think it would be more interesting if it could boost at the same time.
    Like a preamp pedal with a loop.
    Would it act like a buffer to make direct and effected signal independant, or would they still bleed onto each other ?

5. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi,

It will have some gain but I don't know how much yet until I have built the first one.

I could add an op-amp or valve boost (overdrive) but it would not be in the loop. It would then be an effects pedal in it's own right, once again this could be a different version?

Dave :)

6. Don't you already have this feature on some of your pedals? I thought that is precisely what the "boost" control already does...

Or, am I not interpreting the text in your eBay listings properly?

OTOH, $90USD for a stand-alone effect loop mixer is a good price whether you use a valve, opamp, descrete transistor circuitry, or whatever. So, best of luck with that!

I decided to build mine with opamps because they can easily give clean, uncolored, broadband gain and the power supply can be 9VDC, which integrates very easily with the rest of my stompboxes. Also, easy enough to have 11x boost as an option for the send level, to drive your pedals even harder if you want. :cool:

~ Charlie

7. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi,

Yes, you are correct the boost function on some of my pedals is a clean op-amp boost. But there is not a blend type control on any of my pedals.

Thanks for the other very helpful comments.

Dave

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Like I said on BW it would have to be an active blend unlike the loooper, so currently the only competition is the Boss LS-2 so as long as this is true bypass and active blend then it will be highly sort after by most effect heads.

Also I think another stomp switch to switch between blend and full so that you have the choice to run fully through the effects with out bending down and moving the blend knob.

Hope this helps

9. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi TaySte,

Same reply as on BW, except the blend full on switch is a good idea, I will work out a way to do that. I will be paying you soon for the ideas!

Thanks for the useful comments, I was not going to have a by-pass but it makes sense.

The blend control will be fx fully off to fx fully on and yes it's not passive. The first stage of the valve will drive the signal into a line level output and the returned line level signal will be recovered and amplified by the second stage. The loop will be impedance matched.

It would go in the same size box as a VT1 and it would need a 12V PSU.

Dave

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ha I need to decide which forum to post on save us duplicating ideas, but yeah got your reply on BW and you have another one.