New tube for TubePre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by opivy3056, Jun 1, 2005.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up?

I have a presonus tubepre that I hardly ever use. It never really did much for my sound. I heard that if you put a new tube in it that it will sound a lot better.

What kind of 12AX7 Tube would you recommend? I dont care about the exact sound....I just want to be able to enjoy using it. Ill spend up to $50 USD.

2. If my understanding is right, changing a tube (thats working fine, ie no microphonics etc) will not give a huge difference in sound, its just more subtle differences between brands and individual tubes aswell as increased life with better tubes
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Replacing the GT and generic Chinese 12AX7's in my Ampeg SVT3 Pro preamp had the effect of lowering the noise floor (less hiss) and the sound became subjectively a bit cleaner and not as harsh. I used Russian Electro Harmonix current production tubes. It wasn't subtle, I could hear a definite difference, a lot less fizz and a smoother tone.

However, replacing the one Sovtek 12AX7 with a gold-pin Electro Harmonix in my Peavey MAX preamp was virtually no difference (I think it's the same factory and EH's are hand-picked, hence the no-difference findings).

As the Tube Pre (Presonus right?) is primarily a mic preamp, I wouldn't expect it to have a dramatic effect on your sound. It is designed to be transparent (within the limitations of its design / cost).

You will probably get more of a compression effect from the tube rather than any type of overdrive or grind. I haven't actually tried the pre though.

Tube rolling is fun. There are lots of subtle and not-so-subtle differences that can ensue from trying different tubes.

At your price point you could always try some NOS or used premium OS tubes (Telefunken, Raytheon, Mullard, Philips etc.)

Some of these older production sound wonderful. I put Mullard UK NOS 12AT7's and 12AU7's in my home stereo preamp and it raised it a couple of notches in performance (bass slam, lower noise floor, quieter backgrounds, better imaging, much better overall).

With tube rolling your mileage definitely will vary. Plus you may hear a larger difference in tubes with a more expensive preamp, rather than the TubePre.

Have fun. FWIW.
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Any NOS USA tube will be much better then Chinese.
  5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Try looking for a Tungsram ECC83 and then tell me how it sounds. :D

They are supposed to have a very warm and open "soundstage" type of sound. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Current maufacture:
    JJ Tesla

NOS or Used:
    Jan Philips 12AX7WA
  7. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I like a 5751 tube over the 12AX7. Virtually the same, a bit less gain, but tighter and quiter IMO. Get an NOS JAN tube if you can-- GE, Phillips, or Raytheon. JAN stands for "Joint Army/Navy", manufactured according to military specs for low noise and microphonics.
  8. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    NOS is always a nice way to go, but if money and availability are an issue, I've had great luck with the EH tubes.
  9. Ei Elite 12AX7E sounds really good in my SWR, and it's cheap and easily available.