Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tubes For Me!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masher88, May 15, 2005.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I just ordered all new tubes for my 400+. I picked up JJ Teslas for the power and preamps. Thanks to advice I gained from TBers, I didn't have to spend almost 450 bucks from Mesa to retube my rig. It only cost $226! I can't wait to have all my juice back! My amp was popping and crackling at practice like crazy! :mad: Anybody have any extended experience with these tubes?

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    From what I've read and heard, Mesas don't need bias adjustments on the tubes, so they should just drop right in and go.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, that's a yes and no thing. Mesa's have a SET bias. Meaning that the tubes have to be made biased to the amp (In other words, buy tubes from somone who knows you want them in a 400+), or something. Right?

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've had these tubes in my 400+ for 5 months now and they're amazing. The focus and tightness of the sound is far superior to stock, and they cut through the mix with a very clear and powerful sound. The Chinese tubes in it originally sounded allright until I got these, then I realized they actually sounded awful. You won't be sorry with these tubes, they're great.