1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New tubes in SVT CL sound great!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Just popped some new svetlana 6550 power tubes and jj/tesla 12ax7 and 12au7's in the preamp/driver sections of my ampeg svt classic head. I didnt expect it to make a big difference but it did, not a huge one but definately noticeable. More extended/deeper lows, friendlier/more controllable mids and more gentle highs. Running a Fender jazz, dbx160a comp and ampeg HP810 cab, I dont think i've ever heard a better bass tone in my life! Scuze the gushing, just thought i'd share the love.............

2. Lemme know if you want to unload your old power tubes. I have test equipment and could compare them to new ones and post the results here so that this forum would have a definitive marker on modern production power tube life.

3. How does that compressor act with the SVT-CL?

I have been searching for a compressor, but not too shure about how they react against a valve head, I have a SVT-VR and want some groovy effects, such as a good compressor.