Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cubeenz, Aug 8, 2001.

1. I have an SVT3-PRO which has 4 Groove Tube 12AX7's and 1 Groove Tube 12AU7. I don't want to change the tone of my amp any, or nessasarily give it more gain or bite or anything. I just want to know which is the best replacement tube to buy. I know Groove Tubes are known for lasting a long time, but I've also heard that some of the smaller names are better for durability etc..
    The amp isn't that old so it will be quite a while before I have to replace, but this is for future reference. Also, is chaning preamp tubes something I can do on my own the first time? And will I have to rebias if I change brands? Would it be a good idea to buy spare tubes to have on the road just in case?
    I know, a bunch of questions but any help will be appreciated.

2. You should have no need or reason to change tubes unless one blows or goes bad. It's probably not a bad idea to keep a 12AX7 on hand just in case. Preamp tubes take about 30 seconds to replace (make sure the amp is turned off!!!), and do not require biasing. Pretty much any brand should work fine. They cost about $10 each. Groove Tubes are not worth the extra money.

3. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    THe only nice thing about groove tubes is thier rating system. If you decide to go with groove tubes for power tubes, you can pick a set of tubes with the same rating and do not need to have the amp rebiased. There is a lable on the tube that should say its rating. (this is what groove tubes claims) Groove tubes is just a middle man. They buy tubes for wholesale, then they test them and match them under thier rating system and thier "high quality specifications" and then run them through thier label machine putting thier name on them, and price them at double the cost of, say a sovtech tube. (who is the manufacturer)

depending on the amp and bias costs of your local tech. you may save money buying groove tubes

4. But he's talking about preamp tubes. There are no power tubes in an SVT3.

5. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I am a dufus

6. ...but it was useful information anyways... thanks

7. does the amp really have that many preamp tubes? I thought just 1

8. I only bought this amp in May, and it's as current as the 2001 catalog. So maybe the specs changed since then? I know for sure that the first three tubes are Groove Tube 12AX7's. The 2 driver tubes may be a different brand, but I am sure that one is a 12AX7 and one is a 12AU7.

9. (i only skimmed though the thread, so if i'm just repeating somthign already said, then sorry, and ignore this)

FYI groove tubes are just relabled tubes. All that GT does is match the pairs, and charge more. On the power tubes that came stock on my Fender Blues JR, you saw 3 brand names on there. Fender, Groove Tubes, and i dont know how to spell the thrid (orignial brand) Selventia? somthing like that.