Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tune 6 string(Gas)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robear22, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I went to my neighborhood Sam Ash and came across this new bass they are carrying. Well I was in the market for a new six string and tried this one out. Liked it so much that I traded the Brice and took this baby home. Very nice bass. Good sound, feel, and looks. Has anyone heard of Tune basses? They are made in Korea and have a custom look to them. Nice flat ebony fingerboard with a 4 piece maple neck and a solid Ash body. 3 band eq and a brass nut. I will post pics when I can get a hold of a decent digital camera. Until then here is how it looks. I hope this works. :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist:

[​IMG]

2. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Looks cool. How much was it?

3. Tune was originally a Japanese company and they made really nice basses. don't know about the new Korean Tunes but if you traded your brice with it, then you got a very nice deal.

4. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    After the trade all I paid was 400.00. I have been playing this thing ever since I got home and I can not wait to play it through my rig tomorrow. The pickups and preamp are all Tune products but they sound very nice. The web site says they are Japanese but I think they are manufactured in Korea.(Like mostly everything in this price range)

5. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Not bad. How much was it selling for? It kinda reminds me of the John Myung Yamaha.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Those basses are so nice...

The store here that carries them is trying to sell them for $1100ish.. on korean models... The freakin Japanese models are $1100 at most stores, and the koreans are about $500-$600

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I played one recently at a Sam Ash store and wasn't too impressed by the sound. The bass is beautiful... There is also a natural wood finish with a walnut top (I think) and an alder body. The fret jobs on all of them were questonable and the setups were worse.

With a little work and new pickups (or preamp) you can get a very nice looking bass for little $$$ that sounds great. I think the 6 string was around $529 with the really nice wood and the painted model was $489.

8. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    This one is setup pretty good and the sound is pretty impressive for a $600 dollar bass. Neck was flat with no deadspots and no buzzing whatsoever with pretty low action. This one was fresh out of the box. The red finish is sweet too. I usually don't like red basses but this one I could not let go of.

9. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I tried one of these out today and was very impressed!! Excellent bass for $599. I like the full string spacing and it has a very punchy tone. The one I played wasnt setup very well but over all had a nice sound.

10. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Yea for $600 its seems like you cant go wrong.

11. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Played through my rig yesterday and loved it. Nice sound and very punchy. I opened up the cover and to my surprise there were two 9 volt batteries and a circuit board preamp. Very clean wiring and setup very well. I would not have thought it was an 18 volt system but I listened to the bass through my drum machine before I played through my rig and I noticed the sound was very clean. This bass is a find!! :D :D :D

12. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Here is the web site for the company. Very nice basses they are making. The higher end models have a lot of features. it seems they are trying to lure buyers with the low prices.

http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Robear - I think that's the site of the now-defunct Japanese company. The ones out now may be decent basses, but they're like Warwick's Rockbass line... lower-cost copies of the originals.

That said, I'd love to try a TWX 6 sometime, but we don't have Sam Ash in the DC area thanks to a gentleman's agreement between the Ash family and the (Chuck) Levin family... something like that, I was told.

14. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    so in short ..
    is this korean Tune recommended .. ?

15. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Yes I recommend it to anyone that is looking for a 6 with a unique shape and nice sound. The web site is the one for the current basses. All of the basses on the site can be ordered by the Sam Ash near me or so I was told. My bass has the same specs and shape as the basses on the site. The old ones had a different shape to them. I could be wrong but I researched this stuff out for almost two hours on the net. That site was about the only thing I found on them besides being on the Ash web site. There are also some reviews on Harmony Central and BGRA. Take a look. I recommend them. That brass nut really adds some snap to the overall sound. I will change the strings though. They came with GHS's. I may throw some DR's on her.

16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I work for Sam Ash, and you are right, these Tune basses kick ass for the price. However you are incorrect about being able to order them, there are no special orders available. These basses are gotten through a special distributor, making them under the Tune name for Sam Ash. There is a 4-string with a Padouk top, a 5-string with a Flame Maple top, and a 6-string with an Ovangkol top. They are my favorites. There are also a few other models. They sound great and play great. But, I don't know that these are affiliated with the original Japanese Tune company, the website says "beware of impostors, the Korean Tune is not affiliated and is a knock off" or something to that effect. I don't know what the real deal is with them, but the simple fact is it's a great bass nonetheless. It would be nice to get some of the custom Japanese ones, but, according to purchasing, it can't be done. If anyone has any more info on this I'd love to find out what you know..... If you want one, email me, I can ship it from the Asholes.... :bag:

17. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    The Korean Tune basses appear to be ripoffs. I've contacted the Tune Japan company (which is still in business), and they say that the Korean company has nothing to do with the original Japanese Tune Bass Maniac company. A very strange situation.

Here's the warning at the Japanese Tune site:

http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/tune/important.html

This is a translation of an email I received from them when I enquired:

Thank you. We have no connection to the Korean based company "Guitar Parts." We have received advice from many people regarding this matter. We put great care into the basses that we diligently create. We love the basses that we make, but the other company makes basses for profit. We believe that this difference will certainly be clear.

One of the things that emerges from the link above is that there may be warranty issues with the Korean basses.

I have what I thought was an original Tune 8 string. Due to various reasons, I've become suspicious that it may be a knock-off. I haven't had time to contact the company on this one yet, but plan to. It raises some interesting issues though - other than warranty, does it matter? If I like the bass, isn't that all that's important?

This whole thing reminds me of when Japanese companies like Greco and Ibanez made copies of Fenders and Gibsons in the '70s. They were forced to stop. But those instruments have become collectors items to a certain degree, certainly sought after by some. Maybe Tune is facing karmic recompense for the actions of Japanese companies in the past...

18. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Here's my take: regardless of the current controversy over the current Tunes from Sam Ash, I really dig mine and it really does not matter to me who made it. It's a heck of a lot of Bass for what I paid for it and I am very happy with mine!! For those interested here are some pics of my five string and a link to where you can hear it if you'd like to hear what one sounds like.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Link to hear it.

19. thats interesting, ive never seen a bolt on with a painted neck before!

20. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess I was informed wrong. My bad. I would really like to know who makes them because my Tune was made pretty well. It took me a second to get used to the painted neck too but not too long. The cool thing about that is you can still see the grain of the wood through the clear red stain. If it was solid color I probably would not have gotten it. Thanks again for the information.

Daveaceofbass you say you guys have them made for you? How long have you had them?