Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New tune from me - made with GB

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Hey - I love having a new Powerbook - and I love Garage Band - so simple and easy to use, and it make Cubase look like a really clumsy program by contrast.

This is a funny little tune that I built from a simple bass line that mutated into lots of other ideas - and this is the result - not perfect by a long shot but definitely sounding closer to what I hear in my head. It's a bit fast and I now want to record something slow - and I'm not happy with the drum loop - but hey it's a start.

Hit The Beaks
    http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=29039

Let me know what you think

M

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    very WOW.

reinforcing to me that i own a bass, and i play a bass.

you, on the other hand, are a bass player.

3. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds good. Great playing BTW. Does Garage Band come stock on a Mac or is an extra package you have to buy?

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Comes stock with every mac.

the bass is a little too heavy in the mix I think, the drums aren't anything special, but, you're still not giving them much space. I dig the track though. Kinda has a steve bailey vibe.

you should experiment with using software drums to add fills, also, experiment with cutting loops up to add variation. Also, you can experiment with layering multiple complimentary loops while isolating elements to obtain better sounding drums.

I don't dig the double thumb solo very much, it's kinda out of place, too quiet, and a little sloppy, juxtaposed to everything else... it's like... eh? Seemed forced.

whatever though, cool grooving. Garageband is awesome.

5. Thanks for the critic WR - all good and I agree with all of your points, and yeah the DT solo is not that special - this is an amalgam of many ideas so maybe that wasn't the best one here - but I'll do something composed with the DT stuff soon anyway. I rreally need to experiment with drum loops and editing them - but it's all a matter of time. This is just the first sketch as it were...

Cheers for listening

Mikw

6. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I didn't think the thumb solo was out of place at all - I thought it was a nice interlude.

I did think the ending could be stronger - it seemed maybe it should have picked up the groove from the beginning but instead it felt like it kind of petered out. I liked it though!

What interface are you using to record into your Mac? I have an iBook which doesn't have an audio in, so I'm ignorant about these things! ;)

7. Yeah the ending is a bit weak after such a funky start - this is just version one so hopefully I'll get a better version sorted soon.

I use the Tascam US-122 audio interface and it really works - they've actually gone up in price since I bought mine but for a simple and good quality analogue to digital device they really work - and they can handle midi-connections as well - they will definitely work with an iBook too - you just need to buy one! I was running a line out from my SWR baby baby blue combo as well - but the signal is still DI'd.

Cheers

Mike

8. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Yeah, I need to dig in to editing the drum loops in GarageBand more myself. Just haven't had the time or the energy. I've been setting up the loops in GarageBand, then transferring those tracks over to my older computer which has ProTools (OS 9!). Kind of bass-ackwards (hmm, in this forum, that term takes on new, albeit mispronounced meaning) I know, but...

The people making comments on the site where you posted the tune were definitely psyched!

9. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Mike, you're a phenomenal player and that piece is very nice, indeed.

I love the intro and that funky run at 00:43.

10. Thanks dude - I thought I'd throw in a couple of licks with the three fingered stuff, (I like the one at the start), I've been messing around with this for a while - glad you like it.

M