Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tune!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Hey folks,
    I've just finished an all new tune which I hope I can get some feedback on. It's called "The Ninth Level" (Why? I don't know) and I recorded every part of it with bass, the high parts and the percussion parts as well. Thanks!
    www.mp3.com/thebassline

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, that was pretty cool actually. I really enjoyed the "bass as the whole band" thing. You even have a drum like tone. I really enjoyed it. I've done all bass stuff for my band "Matt and The Monkey Mafia." But I programmed some drums.

I really like later on in the song, when your hitting some chords way up high and it sounds like a keyboard. Impressive stuff.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like your other stuff to, what did you use to program drums in other songs, they sound fairly real.

4. Thanks for the input, Matt!
    For the drums on "Lucky Sevens" and "S***-Faced Spy" I got these programmed drum loops from Acid Music and cut them up so I had my own beat. On "Lucky Sevens" for instance, Acid doesn't have any 7/8 drum loops, so I had to chop the beat up and rearrange it so it would be in 7/8 time and the I just added little things here and there throughout the song to change it up.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I noticed the weird time signature, so I was curious if there was a program that had real sounding drums and let you do different time sigs. I use fruity loops and I don't think you can do anything but standard 4/4. If I had good midi on this computer, guitar pro lets you program drums in any time sig you want, but... it's midi.

6. Actually, you can do odd time signatures with Fruity Loops. I forget how...some options thing you go to and you adjust the beat length. This was the case with Fruity Loops 3 anyways.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I do seem to recall stumbling upon this... thinking it was cool for a second... then forgetting how. I thought I was just crazy... any fruity loops users wanna help? :)

8. sounds great man! the all bass track is cool; ihve no idea how you got all of that out of a bass, man. and lucky sevens is really awesome too.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I really dug **** faced spy. It was a very spy sounding riff. I don't really understand how he/she is **** faced... but... it's your call.

10. Thanks for listening Floyd and Matt,
    As far as the spy being drunk, someone told me that's what it sounded like because it kept moving around without a point or direction. And dammit, he was right!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah that bass break when you kick into 7/8 weirded my girlfriend out a bit. She thought it sounded bad but I explained to her time signature issues, then the drums kicked in and she was like, "OK, It sounds cool now."

She really dug the all bass song too. ;)

12. That's cool. Unfortunately, I've never been one to impress girls. :D

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

If it makes you feel any better... she likes your songs... and she hates Matt and The Monkey Mafia. :D She'll be like... This part is OKAY... but I don't like the rest... :D

I understand though... MATMM sux. :p

14. If she tells you why she doesn't like it, it's justified, because criticism should always be welcome. Well, at least girls will listen to your music. ;)

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -that was really cool! Many times people try this, but forget to write a good song song to try it with. Congrats! My wife is a girl (smack...sorry honey), I mean a woman, and she thinks it's cool too.

16. Thanks for listening, Blisshead (and Mrs. Blisshead)! :)

17. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Thats pretty sweet dude! Is the percussive part played real-time, or did you sample it? Nice tone as well. Like matt said, the chords that sound like keys are cool as hell too. top notch.

18. Thanks for listening, BigTed!
    No, the drums were sampled. I recorded a slap part, a pop part, and a harmonics part and rearranged them together to make one beat.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's cool... it gives it a nice full... drumkit sound. I never thought of that... I've experimented with this before, but I couldn't get it to sound that cool. I didn't think of seperating tracks.

20. I did it because I'm lazy!