Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tuners for a Geddy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MrDuncan, Aug 12, 2005.

1. First of all, I hope I'm posting this is the right Forum. Secondly, I am considering replacing the tuners on my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, because most people who own them agree the tuners are below par. My concern is that I have no idea what brand to use and if all are made with the screw holes that will line up. I don't want to drill new holes into the bass (even if it is on the back of the headstock) but at the same time I want to keep the same style tuners (for the vintage Fender look) and have something of better quality.

Any suggestions??

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Do you have any issues with the bass staying in tune. I felt that thetuning gears were kinda cheap feeling but I never had any issues with the bass staying in tune.

http://hipshotproducts.com/bassmachine.htm
    Hipshot HB-2's are direct replacements.

3. 99% of the time I find the bass stays in tune fine but there is that odd time that I find the bass doesn't hold it tune very well.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    How is actually tuning the machines, do they seem unresponsive while tuning? Your tuner should be able to pick up a slight difference in pitch if you even nudge the machine.

Nino took the words out of my keyboard, Hipshots are great.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I replaced my Geddy tuners with Schaller BMFLs (or something like that) because they were very unresponsive to minor adjustments. They just didn't act that precise. The Schallers are much more responsive.

6. I replaced mine with the Hipshot HB2's and it was EASY. (Other than removing the broken off screw on one of the machines.It came that way but didn't notice it until later) 4 screws and out. I left the inserts from the imports in the headstock, you can't tell the difference and I didn't feel like pressing out the old ones. I say go for the Hipshots, they have a 27:1 gear ratio and are made in the good ol' USA. The Schallers are nice too but are like 20:1.

7. Thanks for the advice guys, I am planning on swapping the stock machines for a set of Hipshots. I find the stock ones are rather unresponsive and don't have a good feel. I'll buy the Hipshots and use them since they came so highly recommended. Oh by the way Whamonkey, I won't hold it against them that they're made in the US of A even though I'm from the good old C.A.N.A.D.A. :p

8. Touche' my man.........I love Canada. :D

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Are the HB2's the vintage "reverse" style, or do they go flat and sharp the way you would expect from regular tuners?

10. Counterclockwise to tighten....if that answers your question.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    HB-2's are your typical-twist-to-tuning-type-of-tuner.

I use these on my Marcus Miller Jazz, direct replacement, no drilled holes or anything. Same hole locations as Schaller BMFL's, same weight although the tension is adjustable via a set screw on the body, and you can get a set with three tuners and an Xtender, which I do instead of buying a full set of Schallers plus money on the Xtender.

For top of the line tuners in this shape, it's pretty much between Hipshot HB-2's and Schaller BMFL's. The Hipshots offer adjustable tension and 22:1 tuning ratios, while the Schallers are simply 18:1. However, the Schallers are able to be disassembled and reversed. The HB-2 is not. The Hipshots must be ordered for each side.

12. Thanks guys for all the help and now I have one more question. Everyone always talks about 22:1, 18:1, etc tuning ratios. Can anyone put into "dummy terms" exactly what this means?

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    With a Hipshot, you have to turn the tuner 22 times to get the shaft to go all the way around once. Hence 22:1, a ratio.

A standard Fender tuner in this shape, or a Schaller, use an 18:1 ratio meaning the key has to go around 18 times for the shaft to go all the way around once. It's a bit more work when restringing, but it allows for easier, more precise tuning with the Hipshot.

14. The Hipshot HB-2 gear ratio is 27:1......straight from Hipshot website.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Strange, you're right, and Schallers are really 20:1 according to their site. NOW I'm confused...

16. One main reason I chose the Hipshots over the Schallers.....gear ratio. As far as quality they are almost identical although you're right about the ability to reverse the Schaller machine. You know, you're right about 99.997% of the time so don't feel bad . BTW, how are things in Madison lately? I used to live in Boonton and was born in Denville.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, same reason I went with Hipshots over Schallers this time around. More accurate tuning in the end.

Glad you think my correctness percentage is so high, it's a bit lower :D

And lastly, things are okay in Madison, I leave for Bethlehem, PA on the 26th. Frickin' hot over here, got our first break in about two weeks from 95+ weather today.