Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tuners for my Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JeremyBender, Dec 23, 2002.

1. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    Hey all,

I searched and searched.. so now I ask.

I would like some recomendations for new tuners for my Jazz bass. It's more cosmetic, since I am going to gold hardware to match my gold j-retro, and I realize I know little about tuners. Can anyone provide any suggestions? I got a gold BadAss II Bridge, and all I need now are tuners. I know the common big names, but I may as well try to get better ones.

2. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    And by the way... it's a 2001 MIM Jazz, so I dunno if anyone needs that info.

If this is in the wrong forum I apologize, but it was the best conclusion I could draw.

3. You're in the right forum...

If you need a VERY good tuner at a price that won't keep you from buying new strings, then I heartily recommend the economy tuners offered by Stewart Macdonald - www.stewmac.com.

These tuners have all of the small, less noticed features that the best tuners have but are priced very reasonably. The have small, lighter, cast bases - not stamped steel like even some big names. They have contoured, tapered posts with domed tops that will help hold strings down against the nut. They have ADJUSTABLE worm gear lash - if the tuner gets loose from wear, all you do is tighten the allen head adjustment screw on the base of the shaft. They can be disassembled and reassembled for a 2 + 2 headstock configuration. They also have very heavy but nicely finished chrome plating. All this and they only cost about $35 a set!

4. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    Thanks Hambone! That site sells everything I need. And as much as I appreciate the info, I need gold tuners. The adjustable ones only come in black and chrome. But still, the link proves more useful than anything. That site has everything!

The Schaller Elephant Ear ones seem to be my best option for a gold tuner. I dont think the Gotoh ones are meant for an inline headstock.

5. Actually Gotoh has 6 models that are for inline Fender style instruments:

GB1 - Medium size, square machined frame, vintage Fender head, 1:21 ratio in Gold, Chrome, Black, Violet Chrome
    GB2 - Medium size, trapezoidal cast frame, adjustable lash, vintage Fender head, 1:26 ratio in Gold, Black, Chrome, Violet Chrome
    GB29 - Same as GB2 but reverse wind
    GB11 - Small triangular cast frame, adjustable lash, vintage Gotoh keys, round ferrule,tapered post, 1:20 ratio in Gold, Black, Chrome, Violet Chrome
    GB11W - Same as GB11 but with a hexagonal ferrule
    FB3 - Large trapezoidal machined frame, vintage Fender head, 1:20 ratio - direct replacement for vintage Fender/Schaller heads in Gold, Black, Chrome, Violet Chrome.