1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by quindecima, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I have a 97 Fender P bass that I would like to keep playing but the darn thing is nose heavy, it's a constant strain for me. I thought about new lightweight tuners but cannot find any for the year model bass that I have they all seem to be for the earlier basses. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You are not going to find a lighter tuning machine that is a drop in replacement except for MAYBE the Fender Deluxe machines from 2004-2006, or the Fender standard machines from '07 to present, but neither of those tuners will save enough weight to spit at.. That means drilling mounting holes for the screw to secure the tuners. The lightest tuner is the Gotoh GB350 @40 grams, but doesn't come in a clover leaf. Then the Schaller M4 90 lite, @44 grams, but again that has a 'Y' key. There is also the Gotoh GB640 @66 grams, it is a classic tuner, with a cloverleaf key, but the back plate may be too large for that headstock. Next up is the Hipshot Ultralite @~68 grams. probably you best choice if you want the classic cloverleaf key. There are many other tuners at lower price points, but if weight is your primary concern those four are the ones to look at.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Lownote38 likes this.