1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Tunes for Old Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm a 45 year-old guy in a band playing gigs at respectable restauants with bars to folks in their 30s- 60s. We play mostly stuff from the 70s and 80s, but would like to play more current music as well. We are mostly playing the danceable R&B, Motown, rock & pop standards with a little disco that most of us play, but also do a couple of Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Sublime tunes.

I guess I'm getting old, but I need some suggestions for danceable tunes from the last 20 years (1990- present) in the rock/pop genre. I'm not looking for rap songs or screamo-head banging- "beat my mother with my guitar" songs. We are mostly middle aged guys that include drums, bass, 2 guitars and a good keyboardist. I specifically mentioned a good keyboardist who can do strings and horn parts if needed. All musicians are good, and four of us can sing too.

If and when you reply, besides the song's name, please indicate the artist(s) and the genre. I looked at the thread that requested current rock songs, but was unsure as to how "heavy or hard" rock those songs were. We want to get a bit more current, but don't want to scare the local ladies away either. Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    Try:
    Black Crowes - "Hard to Handle" - Blues Rock
    Maroon 5 - "This Love" - Pop/rock, funk/rock
    Jimmy Eat World - "The Middle" - Pop Rock
    No Doubt - "Spiderwebs" or "I'm Just A Girl" - Pop Rock / Ska
    Outcast - "Hey Ya" - Funk/Rock/Hip Hop
    Semisonic - "Closing Time" - modern rock
    Justin Timberlake - "What Goes Around / Comes Around" - Pop
    Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours" - Reggae?
    Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out" - Indie rock

3. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    Little Miss Can't Be Wrong - Spin Doctors
    Banditos - The Refreshments
    Plus you can't go wrong with any song by Matchbox 20...

4. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    Two of them that I like are I'm Yours by Jason Mraz and Sunday Morning by Maroon 5.

Both would fit the bill for your gig.

5. Krispy

Krispy

May 21, 2007
    NJ USA
    Tower of Power - What Is Hip. Makes the audience piss themselves.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I'll write some of these down. Some I've either considered as well, but it reinforces what little instints I have.

Don't be afraid to keep more coming! Thanks again!

Bob