Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New tuning machines

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 28, 2002.

1. I have a P-bass with the large vintage style Schaller tuning keys. These things weigh a ton so I have decided to go with something else. What is the best (least ugly) way of filling in the old screw holes? Should I use wood filler or tiny, little dowels?

2. Since you cant use the smaller enclosed style of tuner without recreating smaller holes in the head you could go to smaller frame tuners and save a decent bit of weight for little money or you can go with a set of ultralights and save a lot of weight for quite a bit more dough. Either one will have to fit the larger 11/16th's (I think) hole.

3. When I say hole, I'm talking about the holes where the screws mounted the frame to the headstock. The holes you are referring to are 11/16".

I am going to get the smaller frame Schallers.

4. Using a good hard wood round toothpick - usually the variety that come with frilly celophane on the end - you can nearly completely fill the hole. Using a good wood glue, you can fill the hole with the toothpick, let dry completely and then shave the remainer even with the back of the headstock with a razor blade. It leaves a barely visible little round dot that isn't too distinguishable from the surrounding wood in most cases. Usually, at least a couple are covered with the new tuners.