Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new tuning pegs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vorago, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I want to replace the stock tuners on my MIM J-bass with some descent tuners. The stock tuners aren't very stable and lack precision. I was thinking about buying Schaller, and more specific these ones:

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw7_artikel-171262.html

Is this a good idea and are they direct replacements?

oh, and do they come in packs of 4? Is it 59 euro for 4 or for 1 tuning peg?

2. Schaller is currently making some of the cheapest tuners on the market. The problem is that instead of making a full chassis with welded retainers to hold the worm gear in, they are using a spring steel tab mounted under the spur gear that fits under the worm gear to hold it in place. When the worm gear turns, it rubs on the steel and makes a black metal dust that gets all over the back of the neck. When the tab fatiques and finally loosens, the worm gear gets sloppy. Don't be fooled by the fact the Schaller stamps their name on the tuner - it's for looks and doesn't mean a thing for quality. This is NOT the way the originals were made and not what you want to put on your bass if you like quality products.

The best tuners for the money right now are the Gotoh's. They are full frame, full height, nickel tuners that are perfectly accurate to the originals. They offer reverse tuners and even the riveted version if you like the really old ones from the early 60's.

3. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    Many basses tend to be a bit heavy at the head end. Even with a short-scale Fender Mustang, I was suprised how much better it felt with a set of HipShot ultralights on it. Can't recommend them enough. Might as well upgrade your bass as part of the process.

Millard

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks fellas !

How much does a set of 4 cost?

5. I am curious about something. I have been playing for about 40 years and have never had to replace tuners because of tuning instability. I have replaced tuners in an attempt to reduce neck dive. I have experienced tuning instability, but the problem was normally the strings binding in the nut or (much less commonly) the string tree. 5 minutes with a nut file and/or some lubricant (I'm partial to Chapstick) took care of the problem. Other causes of instability, in my experience, were strings that were improperly installed causing the strings to slip on the tuner or strings that weren't stretched properly. My question is: are you sure the tuners are your problem? I understand that the first thing you think about when your tuning is unstable is the tuners, but I have found that the tuners are seldom to blame.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Maybe so, but these tuners feel very weak, and make it hard to
    "finetune", they don't have enough winds.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My experince with MIM Fenders (I own 3) is that the tuners used on them leave a little something to be desired. They do work, but are kinda cheap feeling, and sloppy.

Now to be fair, that is one reason why they are 400 dollars, and not 900+ like a MIA Fender. The cost has to get cut somewhere. Same with the bridges, but again, gotta cut costs somewhere down the line, to offer them at a cheaper price.

Like any Fender type bass though, replacement parts are everywhere, and mods generally aren't that difficult.

My MIM jazz basses, I used Schaller BML tuners. They are actually pretty decent. Got them from Warmoth for 46 bucks for each set.

My Precision Deluxe-I just installed a set of Hipshot HB-1 tuners on that two days ago. I really like these! Very precise, and they actually feel a bit lighter than the stock MIM tuners they replaced. You can adjust the tension on these too if you want. Got a great deal on them from Brian at Best bass gear.

I like the Hipshots better than the Schallers. I like the Schallers better than the MIM tuners. Either one is an improvement IMHO, so I don't think you could go wrong with either. However, given the choice, I would go Hipshot, or like Hambone says, check out the Gotoh vintage style tuners.

BTW, I followed Hambone's advice on tuner installation-didn't have it when installing the Schallers. Made the Hipshot installation a snap! Results are very good