New twist on "Pay to Play".

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This one may not be new, but it's new to me. Club owner tells my friend's band, "Look, you can play here, but I'm gonna have to take $350 off the top for the sound guy."

friend: "We have our own soundguy."

owner: "No good. Bringing in an outside guy will go against the deal I have with my guy."

friend: If you have a deal with him, then YOU should pay him!"

owner:"Tell you what, if you can gaurantee at least 170 people or more, I'll pay the soundman." :rollno:
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Either deal with it or don't play the club. I would lean toward not playing the club. But it's his club, his rules. Sucks, but that's the way it is.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Screw that!

You can't even gig anymore, this is insane.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Clubs are under no obligation to help your band out. You may not like it but they're not doing anything illegal or morally wrong.
  5. jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    I would just not play there. If your friend is from Atlanta, as is seems you are, there are dozens of places to play that are much more reasonable to get into.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    $350 to pay the sound man?
    ...we're in the wrong bidness.

Maybe it's me, though...
    I used to play in a large R&B/horn band that paid the soundman an EQUAL cut except-
    He didn't have to pay rent for our rehearsal space
    He didn't have to show up for rehearsals
    He didn't have to move any equipment
    He didn't have to buy records
    He didn't have to learn any tunes
    ...need I go on?
    Our band leader said '...he makes us sound good & that gets us gigs'.
    I was young & dumb at the time; who knows, maybe they were lovers or sumthin.

One of the bands I'm in now pays the sound guy $100...he shows up about 30 minutes pre-gig, does the sound for the 60-minute show, & leaves until next time. He seems happy.
  7. ^ + 1 - $350 sounds too much for a sound guy - somethings fishy. :spit:

How about telling the club owner your soundguy will do the gig for $175?
  8. My band has never had to take more than 100 bucks out for a soundguy. Somehow I don't think more than 125-150 is right at all. For any soundguy that's not with the band.
  9. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Soundguys get paid? As an occasional soundguy, I find this hard to believe :)
  10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Maybe not but it certainly is esthetically incorrect.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

For $350, I'd at least expect sound, lights, lasers, AND fog/pyrotechnics, and maybe a fluffer :eek: . For that kinda money, I'd tell him the soundman could have the gig.
  12. Either that or an opposite sex soundPERSON doing immoral things during breaks. (But remember - no sax before the game peeps..)

All effects and no musicians - That's called a DJ... :)
    And let's face it - they snag a lot of gigs from us already... :rollno:

13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That would be the 'fluffer' mentioned by bassmonk.
  14. Oh... I blame my non-english-as-first-language-background for not knowing what a fluffer is.
    But from now on I'll always put "Fluffer x 2" on the rider... :)
    Nobody'll know what it is, but some day... :smug:

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We pay our soundguy $150 a night. BUT, he shows up when we do to set up--after everything is loaded in, with his help, he then does all the hooking up of the PA and lighting. All we do is set up our own rigs and instruments. And stay out of his way for the most part. He knows what he is doing, and if he needs help, he'll ask.

At the end of the night, when the band is still mingling and "cooling down", he proceeds to get everything unhooked, packed up, and ready for load out.

Plus, he does a great job with sound and lights in between times. He earns every penny of what we pay him.

But $350 for a soundguy?? Ridiculous.
  16. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    Sounds like you are paying for a sound guy and a PA system.
  17. Only soundman i deal with is great, £50 for the night, 4 large PA cabs on each side of the stage, 6-8 floor monitors, mics etc, 5+ Kwatt system, pretty sweet deal for me :D
  18. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    well, a decent p.a. costs upward to 30 or 40 grand including everything,
    and alot of companies will put one out for 350 a night...
    after busting your back, being first in/last out, and transportation expenses, possibly a crew person to help you load, wear and tear,repair...
    who's really taking a loss??
    one blown driver and you're in the red.....
    just a different perspective...this is why i don't do that kind of engineering anymore.
    just something to consider...
  19. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Excellent points. Soundmen do make a good amount of money, but it will be years before most of them will actually start seeing a profit.

Still, $350 is expensive for a soundman. Most of the clubs that we play that have in-house guys pay the techs out of their own pockets just like any other staff member.
  20. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i used to play with a cover band that traveled around the mid-west on the college town of our better paying gig's was at a place called the copper dragon located near southeren Illinois university.what was strange to me was this place was always packed from the first time we played there,SIU has a rep as a party school so maybe that had something to do with held about 650-700 people and we sold it out several times.the payout was between $300(on a bad night)and $500 a guy(this was a five piece)after band expenses.pretty good huh? i thought so to until i found out that the club was taking $1500 off the top for "sound and lights".it was part of their policy because they said that bands made such good money off the door that they had to eat that .you could not bring your own sound either because it was a install but even if you had your own sound guy the clubs guy's had to stay as systems techs.on night i was talking to one of the sound guys and said "this is a good gig for you huh? $500+ every fri and sat night with no load in or out" he laughed and told me they only made $125 a man and that was with a raise.when i asked the band leader about it he told me that that was the price of doing biziness with this club and that i had just made $475 so i should be happy,needless to say i don't play with those guys anymore.