Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New U2 DVD, oh man!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Got the Elevation Tour DVD for Christmas and just watched it last night. This is a must if you have a DVD player and surround (5.1) sound hooked up, even if you're not a huge U2 fan. It is the most awesome production, and so professionally shot and recorded. I cannot believe the quality of this DVD.

If you don't have true Dolby 5.1 sound, you gotta look into this too, it's miles better than stereo.

Anyone seen this DVD?

2. Personally I think U2 is one of the most overrated bands in the world... :rolleyes:

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    He asked about if you have seen the DVD, not your opinion of the band

:rolleyes:

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I kind of agree with you, but they still kick serious ass live!

5. i was going to go see them in calgary, but i had some issues with a certain math teacher...

6. I have this DVD, it is OUTSTANDING in every facet: sound and video quality, performance, set list, extra features, it has it all. It's one of the two or three best concert DVDs I have.

I'm a big U2 fan. All That You Can't Leave Behind was a really great "comeback" CD for them. Adam is a wonderful bass player.

7. who asked you?!

8. easy, fellas...

[darth vader]
    don't make me destroy you.
    [/darth vader]

9. sorry, please delete that last post of mine. I was feeling a little edgy. What I meant to say was what you said previously; wasn't trying to be uncivil.

I agree that U2 might not be THE most talented band ever, but they have songs that I like to listen to. For me, a band doesn't have to have monster chops and write the most complicated songs for me to like them. I like Phish and Rush and the Flecktones, but also can dig Green Day and the like.

Back to the DVD.....

10. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I got the DVD, and I was there the night they taped it. Which is kinda cool.
    It was at the FleetCenter in Boston. At the time I said it was the least remarkable U2 show I'd seen to date in terms of theatrics. (I've seen them 6 times, and they always pull some trick out of their collective hat.)
    But at the same time, I thought it was the best show I've seen them play *musically.* Bono's voice was a bit ragged, and Edge really stepped up that night. 'Course, Larry and Adam sounded great too, but that night, it really seemed like Edge's night to shine.
    Great DVD.

11. Elevation is great, I saw the 2nd show at Earls court, the DVD brings back happy memories. If you want more check out Rattle and Hum, its even better than elevation.

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I suppose I should declare my bias as a long-time U2 fan but I loved the DVD. It has almost made up for the several thwarted attempts I made to catch the last tour.